| Rico is glad he doesn't have to do any more damn exercises |
This morning, I woke up incredibly sore (also sore from crossfit both from Monday and Wednesday this week, both workouts were brutal) and had to haul around my computer and the computer she gave me to do work on. I'm so tired, how does she do it? Luckily my roommate was on campus today and able to drive me home rather than me have to lug the damn computers to the train station and home.
| Except that coming home meant riding in this very sketchy elevator with exposed wires and no certificate of safety... whaaat the actual fuck? |
Yesterday between crossfit and the epic stand-off, I rode the best baby horse!
He's getting so much more confident in himself. But I mean really. He wears boots and he has a crank noseband and he knows what a chambon means and he only occasionally yanks his feet out of my hands when I'm picking them! What a dressage pro.
With the new found confidence, comes a new desperation to be a total brat.
I had to put my saddle near him because my normal rack was taken. So he proceeded to dump my saddle pads off of the saddle and started in on the saddle itself until I told him to stop. Then he started yanking blankets down and spooking at them when they fell. Then he pawed, got his foot onto the fence, and thought hard about climbing it before I backed him off of it. The whole time, I was saying "stop it", "quit it", "knock it off" and the lady nearby was like "wow he's really obnoxious."
| But he's so cute! |
I got on him and he was really stoked. I could feel a little bounce in his step as we walked along. Then he decided that it was time to trot and he charged off with me.
He's always been super lazy. Since he was a baby being broke, he's always needed spurs and a whip. But now that he's gaining confidence and fitness, he's getting more and more forward. It's a really nice forward, but he isn't strong enough to hold himself up, so he basically just charges around with his face in my face and won't respond to any aids. I don't think he means anything bad by it- he's just feeling good.
I'm not a massive fan of being dragged around by an idiot baby horse, but I do like how forward he is now. He's always been lazy- since the day they broke him, he's needed spurs and a whip to be ridden- so I'm really pleased that he's quite forward now. But I want to, you know, have SOME sort of control over him. So we once again revisited the half halt. He wasn't so thrilled about it but after a LOT of transitions, we got some excellent work.
| There are donkeys in that paddock to the right he loves them. |
Once as he settled down a bit, we had some really nice trot work. The geometry isn't perfect yet, but he is definitely going into corners much better. Other than getting him to settle down and do his job rather than darting around the arena like a maniac, my big goal between now and the show in terms of how he is going is to get his geometry a bit better. He falls in and out on circles sometimes and doesn't always stay to my outside rein. That will all come with time.
The canter work was excellent. He's really figured out how to keep cantering through corners and to the right, he stays quite balanced. To the left, he's struggling with the corners, especially the one where he turns to go downhill (the arena is on a bit of a slope).
Overall, I'm really pleased with him, even if his new confidence has turned him into a brat.
Ali and I talked about getting to new places both for her horse, who can be dramatic, and little TC, who just hasn't been many places. She's going to talk to my former boarding barn to see if we can pay a quick use fee and school (which would be great! There are many arenas, including a trail course which I'd love to torture him with). I also talked with my mom and okay'd using my parents' facility one day, which is just across the valley. Hopefully that lines up two new places for us to go before the show. I'd also like to get TC trailering alone and in my rig, but Ali is going to the first show with me, so I'm not too concerned about getting that done just yet.
| Stop, I want to take pictures of your face! |
Can also just add here at the end that although the baby horse is really fun and exciting, there are so many days that I just really miss having my favorite Grand Prix horse in work. Rico is thoroughly enjoying his retirement and my mom is looking forward to having him as her trail horse one day. I'm glad he's getting the life he deserves, but I miss him sometimes!
![]() |
| Loved his piaffe |
![]() |
| Our last show |


Oh babies! They think they know one thing and then suddenly it's like they think they are smarter than you...oh wait isn't this what parents say about teenagers? Yay for getting to stick horses back in their pens;) Love the Rico pictures, he is so beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThey're so similar to teenagers! Except yeah it's nice to be able to put them away after dealing with them or longe them when they're bad.
DeleteBabies are their own kind of rewarding but yes, it definitely makes you miss what a broke horse brings to the table.
ReplyDeleteIt definitely makes me appreciate all my clients' horses who go on the bit and go in straight lines and don't ricochet off the arena fence! I do miss Rico quite a bit though, he was so fun- he actually made me hate riding clients' horses though. Perspective!
DeleteStanding desk? I would die. My feet and legs are dying from a 10+ mile run, not because of the running but from being upright for so long. Ugh. Standing all day is just a big nope!
ReplyDeleteI'm currently riding two horses at about the same level, and I still like coming back to my old man. He's trained just the way I like it, and we just mesh. Most of the time. The other horse is a big mystery in some things, and feels unfamiliar.
Is that weird?
I can't handle it! Yesterday she was sitting down when I got there and I was like PHEW. Way way way too much standing is going on.
DeleteYah I for sure prefer horses trained by me (we should, right?!). I have one who I've had in training on and off for six years and he's a dream to get on. It doesn't matter how many kids have been on him, he always snaps right back to second level when I sit in the tack. So much fun!
Hahah we are having this same conversation with our new Pyr. He was SO GOOD for the first couple of weeks... and then he got confident and bratty and now steals boots and annoys the cats and throws himself on the floor instead of going into his crate. Big baby!
ReplyDeleteAnd he's basically as big as a horse so we're going through the same thing! They're so funny in this stage. Luckily TC is easy to knock down a notch or two, the little mare is NOT and it's definitely not as fun.
DeleteTC is so adorable- but man those are BIG feet haha!! good luck w the standing desk thing... i've always kinda wanted to try it bc i'm pretty sure my 40hr/wk desk job is slowly killing me... but i'm also very very lazy haha
ReplyDeleteHis feet are ridiculous! He's surprisingly light on them though, and I love that he'll never ever need shoes. I doubt nails could even get through his walls haha
DeleteI feel like I know logically that standing desks are better for you, but at the same time, I also know logically that stealing girl scout cookies from my brother's house tonight was not a good idea but that didn't phase me one bit. So sitting it is!