![]() |
| Riot at the vet check |
Today was his vet check so I met my mom at the clinic after I worked this morning. They used the same vet as I do (Rico's lameness vet), so I talked to him about Rico's energy problem. He agreed with Heidi that Omelene would be a good grain to change to, so we're going to make the switch, we also may try red cell. He gave me some really good information about how energy works- animals burn sugar for the first 15-20 minutes of exercise, then burn fat. He said that the horses need a balance of fat and sugar in their diet to have enough energy for a whole workout. Omelene has more sugar and Rico is already on rice bran which has fat. We also may put him on red cell, since he was slightly anemic. My vet said that red cell basically allows for better red blood cell development and that helps by bringing more oxygen to the muscles.
Anyway, Riot! Riot had some minor issues related to his conformation- the beginning of side bone, a joint in the hock that showed regular wear, and one heel was lower than the other- but my parents are going to be trail riding primarily. All Riot needs to do is keep up with Stretch, which isn't hard! So they bought him.
![]() |
| Any horse that I can instagram from is a keeper |
Now he's all settled in and clean. On Friday he gets the shoes put back on (they did hock and front foot x-rays) but his feet are tough so I might take him into the arena tomorrow just to get him out and doing something. After that, my dad has MAJOR trail riding plans and I've designed a conditioning schedule for him since he's a little out of shape.
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
Awww, he seems like a really neat guy :) Congrats!
ReplyDeleteHow sweet! What a pretty guy ... your dad is going to look awful flashy out on the trail. :)
ReplyDeleteOoh, I love his mane. It wants to be braided in all sorts of Barbie horse ways!
ReplyDeleteSo cute! I love gaited horses - such good brains. I hope your dad enjoys him!
ReplyDelete