Wednesday, January 18, 2017

A Different Path

I wrote a post once entitled Success vs Happiness. It was a pretty popular post for a while until what was like... a sudden influx of readers from France didn't like that post as much as a few others. Interesting.
I say I'd love to relive this day. But in truth, it was nerve wracking
and frustrating, and I was miserable until I got my score. 
The post was about recognizing that we often times put our happiness beyond our successes, thinking that once we are successful or once we achieve this certain goal we've set for ourselves, then we'll be happy. In the last year or so since I wrote that post, I've been taking more and more steps to being a happier person, to enjoying the journey for the sake of the journey and not making a beeline toward my goals, setting new goals, beelining towards those, and so on.

Some of these changes have happened and they're wonderful. I quit my horrible job and took a pay cut for what has turned out to be my dream job. I work with some pretty amazing people and I find what I do really rewarding. I'm trying new things more often and I've been working on talking less about what I want to do and just doing it. The WORK-life-HORSE balance is getting a bit more balanced out, where life is starting to grow and work is less stressful.

That leaves the horse side of things. And I had a massive realization about what horses mean to me and what I've been doing to myself these last few years.

At least the pictures turn out well right? I love this shot with my
shadbelly out behind me
I poured my life into getting my Gold medal on Rico. Nothing was too big a sacrifice for it. I worked throughout my Master's program to pay for lessons and shows (oh, and tuition, I left in a bit of debt). I didn't go on vacation, I didn't buy anything for myself other than what I needed to ride, I didn't even get a real hair cut in those couple of years of pushing. Everything I did was for that medal, for scores, for dressage. I started crossfit because I needed to be fitter and other than that, I didn't do any thing that would put my own physical health at risk (like snowboarding, which I finally did last year) just in case. I rode every single day without fail to keep Rico strong and sound. I didn't jump him or trail ride him or even ride him bareback very often to keep us on our regimented schedule. I didn't skip days because it was raining or I was tired or I was busy. Everything in my life was secondary to riding. I literally studied for finals while warming him up (we'd go on regimented 30 minute warm up walks) and any time not spent with the horse was spent making schedules and budgets and arrangements to get this all to work on a small salary while working through grad school.

And it paid off. I am a USDF Gold Medalist. I achieved it through weekly lessons (and no training rides unless you counted the day that Heidi got on for fifteen minutes and couldn't get Rico to do more ones than I could) alone and on a horse I'd trained from Training level.

He was fun to ride. And he was good in shows too. But I did not
have fun in shows, I was too stressed and worried about scores to
have any fun. 
I love dressage. I love it. I'm good at it and it intrigues me. I love talking with my dressage friends about dressage and I love taking dressage lessons from amazing dressage trainers to learn more about dressage. I love doing dressage even on horses who are wildly inappropriate for dressage or who "hate" dressage. I love the feeling of a horse's back up underneath me and a steady even connection on the reins. I love feeling a horse's first attempts at changes and cursing when I miscount in my tempis.

The next step in my dressage journey seemed clear: keep going. Move the goal posts. Yes you got your Gold, but do it again and again.  I bought what turned out to be a very nice young horse with a lot of potential. It was time to prove that I'm not a one-hit-wonder. That it wasn't just a fluke. Train the horse up, this time take your time and win a lot, this time score better, this time leave less holes in the horse's training.

And I had fun with TC, we had our fair share of good moments amongst many bad ones. He gave me a feeling in the bridle that I never have felt before. And hearing how fancy he was never got old. He is fancy, he's a really nice horse. I got super lucky in my horse search because he was not expensive.

But it was a double edged sword.

The interaction between TC being more and more difficult for me to ride (perhaps stemming from him needing to be in a stall with no turnout for his rehab or just being that sort of horse, I guess we'll find out if he stays sound) and me putting more and more pressure on myself, blaming myself for the troubles I was having, and harassing myself about my record, was just awful.

The more I struggled on him, the more I felt pressure to suck it up and deal with it. I had many a blog commenter tell me that this should be easy, that I'm a Gold Medalist and so therefore I'd be more successful than someone with less experience at putting movements on or dealing with his bad behavior. I had many an instructor yell at me because I "should know better" when I made a mistake. I was told several times by different people to "use my considerable experience" to ride through things that were TERRIFYING me. As if knowing how to ride a line of tempis ever prepared me to handle a horse that bolts. Even when things weren't scary, I was made to believe that there was something going horrifically wrong with my riding because "why are you doing that with your hands?!" (answer: I don't know, I have had three dressage lessons total since getting my Gold TWO YEARS AGO) or "why are you sitting crooked?" or what not.

And that's NOTHING compared to what I told myself. I had better not go to a show until I knew that I'd score above 65%. I mean that's just embarrassing. I'm supposed to be this amazing rider, right? Everyone puts Grand Prix riders up on these pedestals thinking that they can do no wrong, then when they come crashing down, they question how they even got there. Oh, her GP horse must have been super easy, or a schoolmaster, or it's a fluke. Every movement on TC felt like it had to be just so before I let it out in public, it was evidence of my years of training, evidence that I "knew better," evidence that I hadn't earned my Gold due to a fluke or because Rico was just so damn good (why was he so damn good? ME). It was because I was a good rider.

I love this horse. But I love him because he is my best friend and
he was so fun to ride, not because he was talented but because he
had the best mind. I could take him in the GP ring one day and ride
him bareback the next. But I didn't. 

I felt so much pressure, and add to that TC's constant stream of bad behavior and/or unsoundnesses. I felt like everything was crumbling out from under me. And this felt like evidence. Evidence that I'm not the rider I thought I was. I started wondering those same things- was Rico just *that* good, such a good horse that *anyone* could have done what I did? Was TC just too much horse, are Grand Prix riders allowed to have a horse who is too much horse? And honestly in the last six months, I've never felt like a worse rider. There's nothing like all these people who had known me during the years I had Rico telling me that I should be better.

About a week and a half ago, the day after TC went lame and I made the decision to put him in pasture after a bit of stall rest, I finally liberated myself from this prison I had felt stuck in for the last two years since getting my medal.

I quit dressage.

Don't panic. I'm quitting competitive dressage. For a little while at least- until I have a better attitude and relationship with the sport.

There's no winning in this sport with me anymore, not with the way I'm approaching it. Either I take TC to a show (well, not anymore, he's lame and won't let me ride him anyway) and I score at 70% and that's expected of me so it's a "well duh I'm a GP rider riding at Training on a fancy horse, obviously that's going to happen" moment. Or I go to a show and score a 65% and I feel like shit because TC is much nicer than that and I'm clearly a shit rider who can't train a talented horse like him to score better than a measly [insert any score under whatever unreasonable threshold I give myself].

Having him suddenly snatched away from me by yet another injury and then me giving up on us allowed me to really think.

I don't... want to do this to myself. Or my family or friends. You know what I want to do?

Trail ride with my friends. Ride bareback. Jump something. Go cross country schooling. Ride bridleless. Try a new discipline. Take a week off of riding because I got busy or felt like it or went on vacation and not be afraid for my life or my horse's soundness. And finally, NOT give up everything non-horsey in my life to ride.

And I want to do dressage. But I want to do it because I love it. Because I want to feel my horse get stronger and more coordinated. Because lead changes are fun. And half pass isn't as fun but looks cool from the ground and I love media so I'll do it.

His passage was amazing to ride. But what
was not amazing was the adrenaline that would
pulse through me as I worried about him stopping in it.

All this time I had continued to put success before happiness to the detriment of the latter. I was not happy. I do not enjoy going to the barn to ride TC. I don't. It's not fun to ride him when I am afraid of him either hurting himself or bolting or rearing. It's not fun to listen to people who think they're consoling me or helping me or encouraging me but are really just insulting me. It's not fun to have to say no to seeing friends or going places because I can't leave him without either paying someone to ride him or putting myself in danger when I do get back on him.

So all I wanted this week was to tell Kate that I'd meet her at Fresno this last weekend and offer to buy her lunch in exchange for her reminding me that I should keep my leg on when I'm cantering toward an intro level cross country jump. And all I wanted to do when it was raining was to pet a pony on the nose and tell them I'd see them when the rain stopped. And all I wanted to do when I only had thirty minutes at the barn before work was to jump on bareback and wander around the ranch. 

But that horse I'm on in my mind in that situation was not TC. It was never TC. Without even acknowledging that he scares the hell out of me and I would never ride him bareback or not exercise him every single day or take him out on cross country, even to wander around on if we couldn't jump. He's lame! Even without the new injury and the stifle and whatever, his suspensory will prevent him from ever doing anything like that.

So sure I'd give anything to go back to this day. But maybe I would
have more fun this time around. 

I didn't make a mistake buying him though, don't get me wrong. I had no idea that I even wanted to have the horse I'm describing. The sort of horse who I can do more than just dressage with, the sort of horse I don't want to compete. Because my one track mind prevented me from seeing what true happiness (without competition success) meant for me. Even when I imagined my next horse (after TC) being this sort of horse, I always imagined that TC would be the way to get that horse- to sell him and buy an all around horse.

The more I think about it, the more I realize how much in my life is about achievements and goals rather than happiness. As long as I'm working toward something, I can distract myself enough from the pain of working toward it with the idea that the pain will be better afterward. If I put in the time now with TC, he will be amazing and I'll sell him for lots of money and he'll finish up my CLS stars and get me my freestyle medals and THEN I can buy a fun all around pony because they're so cute and I just want to ride something for fun.

Life is short, buy the pony. Well, TC isn't going anywhere any time soon so that fictional pony won't exist for quite a long time, but my goals have officially shifted and I'm going to take a break from competitive dressage. I mean, my record shows that I'm now entering year 3 of not showing, but I'm talking about goal-wise, pressure-wise.
New goals miiiiiiight include something fun with this guy.
There are no longer any dressage goals on my 2017 calendar. And for the first time in a long time, I'm really excited about my future with horses for the sake of the horses, rather than for the sake of success. I'll just have to live vicariously through all of the blogs I follow for my competition itch. Meanwhile, I'm going to go find something to hop on bareback... when it stops raining. 

35 comments:

  1. I can't believe people have the gall to say those things to anyone really, all that goddamn armchair quarterbacking. I'm glad that you've found some sort of balance that will leave you feeling less stressed and freer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yah I haven't had many dressage lessons in the last six months or so, but two of them have left me feeling worse than before the lesson. And my other lessons and interactions with other riders when I expressed frustration or feeling down were chock full of those sorts of comments too. People don't realize they're actually being supremely unhelpful sometimes. I'm sure I'm not innocent in this department!

      Delete
  2. This sums up why I never play basketball anymore. I hope you can find your happiness and enjoy dressage again eventually.

    I'm sorry people suck. I wish that some people came with a mute button.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah bf took a long break from hockey for the same reason. Sometimes working really hard at something sucks the fun out of it. I'm looking forward to finding the fun again!

      Delete
  3. Ugh people suck, I think that might be the curse of having a popular blog? I'm small time and honestly don't get much for rude comments (knock on wood). You don't owe anyone anything and I'm sure plenty of accomplished riders have days where they get crappy scores/placings on young horses! No one can expect you to be superhuman.

    When I got out of college and bought Stampede I definitely had competitive things in mind with him - to get back to the many championships that I earned with P - but nothing went to plan. He has challenged me with his bad luck and myriad of issues and shown me that competing can be fun but I love nothing more than the feel of a nicely balance counter canter and that moment when you come to a jump perfectly and it all feels so effortless. He taught me that there is so much to learn all the time in the saddle and out. I ride because I love it and I will do it whether my horse can show and whether my horse can even jump. I even look forward to retiring Stampede shortly and watching him eat and poop in my yard. He never won me much, certainly not like his brother did, but he has helped me grow so much.

    I look forward to watching you work things out and figure out your new path!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah a lot of it was off blog too! And I don't normally blame commenters as much as the trainers who have known me for years and my riding buddies who know what I've gone through with this horse.

      Our situations are so similar! I wish I had the resources to keep TC forever (and I probably would try to if I found him fun to ride) but hopefully he'll be able to land softly. I have a situation in mind if I can't get him to be a fun horse for me to ride!

      Delete
  4. Really well thought out and written post. I think a lot of horse people get so caught up in their goals they forget the whole purpose of having and riding horses, which is to have fun. Sometimes we do the things we think we "should" do instead of the things we really want and make ourselves really unhappy. Hopefully, you find that right balance of fun and competition that brings balance to your life and joy with your horses. I have a $900 sport pony that is nothing special as a dressage horse but makes me smile every time I walk in the barn and every time I ride him. I highly, highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I really need a pony just like yours, I can't be in the market for probably at least a year but I'm hoarding my pennies to try to find exactly that- a super fun, safe, all around type horse. May not be super talented but I'm riding bareback damnit!

      Delete
  5. I hope you'll keep blogging because while I have loved your training posts (even though I have like 1/100th the knowledge you have I always learn things from your posts), I bet your posts about photography/camping/trail riding/whatever the eff you WANT to do will be as equally fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll for sure keep blogging and I'm positive that there will be enough dressage in my future for training posts! The knowledge is all still there and I love the sport, I just can't have these lofty goals and expectations on myself anymore.

      Delete
  6. Love this post. Follow the happy. I have a giant orange creature that can do all the things you want if you do think about the magical new pony. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely trying to follow the happy! I wish I could buy another one now! But I think your orange creature is a touch big anyway, I think I'll be going for pocket sized haha

      Delete
  7. Hugs. Big, squishy hugs for you! This seems like it is is such an important place for you to be, as a human being, and I'm so happy you got here, even though it took a lot of pain to reach this point. And yeah - GET THE PONY! Having a horse that can just go do fun stuff and won't try to kill you is priceless - that trust is worth a million blue ribbons. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's for sure a little jumping bean of a pony in my future (well, I'm 5'6 so maybe small horse) who hopefully can do some low level everything for me while I detox from the crazy dressage goals.

      Delete
  8. This post is personally super relatable. For (obvi) different reasons, my self doubt has been clinging to me like a cheap suit for.... months and months. It really sucks. I love your attitude here tho and your decisive choice to seek happiness over anything else. Can't wait to see how that process looks going forward!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm getting excited about the immediate, more tangible future (vs the far off future with TC where he was sound and fun) and it feels much better! And thanks for talking to me the other day, blogosphere = best.

      Delete
  9. I'm just catching up and so sorry that things haven't been going well. Also sorry that people feel the need to be so incredibly rude. Baby horses aren't easy, even when the stars align and all the luck is on your side! Love this post though, here's to lots of fun times in the saddle this winter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done a fair amount of young horses, the thing with TC that was stressful wasn't the training process (since that was fun and easy), it was all the other stuff- the bad behavior and the injuries, plus the push back from other people about what I should be doing. A young horse could be in my future but I'm thinking less athletic and less enormous. I do love training horses.

      Delete
  10. Holy crap. I think this is the most important post I've read in a long time. I want to send it to everyone I know. I want to post it on the wall at my barn. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 yah it feels like this was a long time coming. I love dressage but I just can't do it in competition without making myself nuts!!

      Delete
  11. I love your blog and all the posts about TC. I hope I never sounded smug because I have completely related to your posts on a very personal level - I lost the horse of my dreams and was having troubles with my 'replacement' horse. Arguably more talented but not as much fun.

    To me the important thing is that riding should be fun and make you happy- otherwise what's the point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You for sure don't stand out as someone who said anything of the sort- the comments were few and far between, the main issue was with how I was seeing myself and how my trainers and a few barn friends were treating me. And the things that were said weren't false. But they were harmful enough to make me want to quit. I can't wait for some fun!

      Delete
  12. I love all of this & relate to it strongly. I used to have stupidly lofty goals for myself with the idea that once I achieved them I would be happy. Now I've given up on living up to the idea of what I should be doing to appear successful, or 'live up to my potential' or whatever, I feel freer. I enjoy myself so much more, I have a life outside of work & horses, & when I do ride I am so much more relaxed that my horses have actually improved tremendously.
    Best wishes to you & your bareback riding & XC adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulously written, so accurate, and I hope you and TC both land in the perfect situations for you!
    I fell into the 'quirky all-around pony' setup a few years back. It is awesome and so liberating. Buy the pony! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. You must be on to something, because it resonated with me enough to make me tear up. I made the same decision not too long ago. I traded hot and very talented for something that makes me happy when I go to the barn. He's not nearly as talented, but we're having a lot of fun being less talented together. As a fellow analyst, being pressed for perfection is part of our DNA. It's everything for me to breathe when I'm away from the job. I hope that you find the same partner, that makes you take a happy breath when you see him and feel your stress levels drop. And yes, keep your leg on during cross country! And don't duck to a ditch, ask me how I know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, good for you! Sometimes to find that love and remember how to just enjoy this sport, it takes a bit of a vacation from it (competitively anyway). And I've found that just enjoying your horse and doing fun things for the sake of doing them actually is pretty fun. Here's to several months or years or whatever you feel like of just loving horses.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG I don't normally comment but this post hits me right in the core. I just sold my fancy dressage horse and feel so much lighter now that I'm not always constantly pushing for more, better, faster improvements. I love being able to not ride when it's -20* out and calling up my eventer friends to go jump XC or just go feed my mom's horse 20 lbs of cookies when she's not looking.

    I don't think this means I loved my horse any less, but more like the circumstances of his talent coupled with my recent achievement meant everyone (including myself) didn't see any other path than to just keep reaching for more awards/shows to add to our collective resume.

    Anyways, this is all to say I'm super happy for you and I can totally relate, and I hope you get to realize your new "goal" of rediscovering only the fun parts of the horse world :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds amazing. It's sort of the opposite of me except I still don't have any goals to work towards a silver or gold medal or ever really be competitive. I know I'd go nuts if I pushed myself to do that or be that competitive. I've just already done the no pressure fun stuff so I'm having fun with more goals and more structured rides. I'm happy for you and can't wait to follow your journey. I just hope you keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I relate to this post so much, although I've never gone anywhere near being a gold medalist. ;) I'm happy for you, that you've found some clarity and figured out what you want. I really do hope you keep blogging! I always seem to learn more from your posts. You already know this, but you're an extremely talented rider and definitely have a lot to offer horses, regardless of if you're doing dressage or competing or doing something completely different.
    www.baysoverbaes.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This. So much this. It's too easy to get caught up in goals and achievements and not enjoy the process. I wish it hadn't taken everything with TC for you to get to this point, but sometimes life works like that. I hope you're able to find the pony of your dreams and really ENJOY riding. Haffies are awfully cute, you know, and they're great bareback too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope you can find the joy again so to speak. It was amazing how much more fun I started having when I goal with Annie was just to have fun. I do what sounds fun, when it sounds fun. If I don't want to I didn't kill myself. Now we're trying to make more progress but that doesn't mean I don't still get on her bareback, go trail riding, and just generally have fun. I hope whatever you end up getting to ride can help you find that. It really affected my riding on other horses to I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I did the same thing with success over happiness in most of my life the last year of college. The summer after graduation I did the same thing you're doing now, said enough was enough and marched forward with happiness as my only goal. Funny thing looking for happiness first, everything else in life just starts falling neatly into place. I bet you find the same and I wish that on you - all of the happiness and all of the wonder and good of things falling perfectly into place.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Come school with us!! But um.... Will you still teach me things?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Life is too short to do anything BUT what makes you happy. I know it's not that easy, for so, so many reasons, but seriously. F*ck the haters, because you're never going to please everyone, and their opinions just simply don't matter.

    Go have fun, enjoy your passion -- horses -- in whatever way you want, because you certainly deserve it. Take a page out of the ammy playbook, and remember that this is your hobby -- not what puts food on your table <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  24. Life is much too short to not enjoy horses and what you are doing with them. It is always good to have goals and aspirations, but if they are making you crazy or taking your life away, you have to refocus and find your happiness again.

    I am so glad that you are taking time for yourself. Hugs and remember that we are all here to support you!

    ReplyDelete