Monday, November 1, 2021

Working Equitation Clinic

Over the weekend, I took Sunny to a local working equitation clinic! I was on the fence about bringing TC but then decided against it. First, there were only two time slots and each were three hours long. I really didn't want to give up my entire day. Second, I've been very careful to not ride TC very long in his bareback saddle because of the pressure distribution issues. His back is still not particularly well muscled (getting better though) AND my back is starting to complain about riding bareback too much. 

Pony not sure what is happening


Pony, sixteen year old pony, pawing at the trailer


Pony not sure how to rein back in a straight line

Pony with a pole

Plus, no offense to TC, but he's kind of obnoxious at obstacle clinics if the point of the clinic isn't to destroy obstacles. Sorry TC. He was definitely jealous of Sunny going somewhere in HIS trailer though. He'll get to go somewhere this weekend so that's good! It won't be as fun but he doesn't know that. He thinks everything is fun. 

Another big win for bringing Sunny is to see how he'd do at working equitation! He's never done it but he just feels like a good WE horse, compact and maneuverable. My mom used to do trail classes when she was a kid and so I really hoped she'd be interested in the working equitation, even just to join TC and I at the next one! 

Pony putting the pole down

Pony considering moving while I hoist a jug

Pony ringing the bell

Pony listening to the instructor

We arrived at the clinic just in time. The three hour time is honestly perfect, but it is a lot of riding. It's a lot of standing around learning and watching other people do the obstacles, but it's a lot. I didn't want to warm him up very much and tire him out, he's not three hours of riding fit. 

Because of that, he came into the arena pretty perky, which was so cute. He doesn't get to go a lot of places. He lives a good life, don't get me wrong, but this stage of his life means chilling at the ranch a lot vs when my mom bought him, he was at an eventing barn doing lots of fun stuff. He’ll get to do fun stuff with my niece soon and hopefully this year my mom is going to trail ride him a lot!

While being perky means TC would have been considering knocking down obstacles and leaping around to make people laugh, Sunny was very serious with his energy. He knew we were going to be Doing a Thing and he wanted to be ready for it. 

Pony through the slalom

Pony at the bull

Pony at the gate

Pony around the barrels

Pony in the pen

The instructor had us start by halting near some of the obstacles (the gate and the jug) and reining back. I guess some horses try to step away from the obstacles. Sunny didn't think to do that so she quickly assigned us another rein back exercise through two cones. That was HARD for him because, and this was news to me since we never do it, he doesn't rein back in a straight line! 

Once everyone was ready, we started on the obstacles! I was familiar with all of them having done them on TC at two separate clinics, but it was great to hear more about them and how not to get eliminated. 

We went through each obstacle on its own and Sunny handled it all so well! Our primary homework was just to get him a bit more supple and confident on the smaller circles, that was it! I was so impressed with him. He was amazing at the gate, he was totally fine with the bull, and he actually has a walk pirouette, who would have thought? I certainly didn't put that on. 

Pony meets the bull

Pony getting fancier

Extra fancy pony


Pony does walk pirouettes?! How fancy is this pony??

At the end, we did a whole course and it was like, the most fun I've had on a horse (except maybe riding Flounder on cross country) in a long time. I didn't care about the mistakes I made, I didn't care that the pony wasn't exactly correctly connected the whole time, I didn't care that my biomechanics were a mess. I just had fun. That's something that I really can't get from dressage right now, so I'm glad I have Sunny to entertain me. 

The best part was that my mom was able to come watch the last third, which included our course! She was so happy to hang out and chatted with a bunch of the ladies at the clinic. She also got the video, so that was great! These screenshots are from the video, which you can watch by clicking here. It’s a bit boring, it’s literally just an introductory working equitation course. 

Pony with the cup


Pony jumping and communicating what he plans
to do after the fence o.o

Pony deciding to launch rider


Pony getting a bit too close to losing me

Laughing at pony’s dump attempts

There’s another clinic in December that I’m trying to get into! It’s a bit further away but it’s with the same instructor and I really enjoy her style. I also emailed her to see if I could get on her mailing list for shows. I really want to take the horses to one. TC is definitely going to get eliminated for being chaotic and knocking shit down, but it’d be fun! And with Intro only being walk trot and any tack being allowed, I think we could do it even if he’s not quite back to full work. 

Sunny though, I think he could be kind of competitive! He takes it so seriously. I mean, it’s a sport neither of us have ever done before, he’s not the fanciest pony in the world, and I’m probably going to get us eliminated for a stupid reason… but still! I’m hoping that having the trainer there will at least get us to complete the competition without elimination but either way it’ll be fun and that’s all that matters. 

Pony not sure why we are saluting when I am
wearing socks like this

2 comments:

  1. So fun - Sunny is the cutest! We did an intro to WE clinic last month and had a blast. It was a nice mental break and I keep recommending it for everyone to try.

    ReplyDelete