Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Game Changer

So I've been using my pivo quite a bit when I can, unfortunately it's been raining so the arena has been too busy to use it, but I've really enjoyed it! They've made a lot of changes to the software and it definitely doesn't lose me as much as it used to. 

Pivo recording my lesson last week

One thing I haven't done is tested Pivo Meet in quite a while. Last I checked, it required you to give the trainer permission to take control over the camera every time and it loses me enough where that's a deal breaker for remote lessons.  

I keep meaning to bring my Pivo home to test it out, for like weeks, and I finally did this weekend. 

I set it up on my kitchen table and joined on my laptop, I made it track my face and I'm sure the SO was wondering wtf I was doing as I swayed back and forth. At first I couldn't get it working because I had the settings wrong, then I clicked on the wrong link, and then I finally got it right!

And finally, FINALLY it worked! As the instructor, you can take over the pivo and turn it left and right and zoom in and out without asking the rider! 

Can't wait to have lessons out here!

I didn't test out the audio though... I just went on my merry way. 

I texted the SO during the day on Monday to see if he could last minute test it on the horse and he wasn't available, so I bothered my mom. She was free and I sent her the link and she clicked on it and I could see her and she could see me! I definitely couldn't hear her though, but she could hear me. 

I walked and trotted around and chatted to my mom to see how the video quality was and to see whether she could hear me from across the covered arena. I got back to the video and she mimed to me that I was a chatterbox and then called my dad in to laugh at me and watch me trot around too. When I got back to the camera, my dad was holding his fingers up like bunny ears behind my mom's head and my mom was miming weird shit to me. So I hung up on them and then called her to find out how it was. 

She said it only got a little blurry once (and their internet is very slow so it could easily be them) and that she wanted the camera up a little higher for zooming in because I guess when she zoomed in, it cut off my head. Other than that though, she said it was great! And this was in the covered arena too! I am hoping that the dressage court (which is outside) is even better. But that'll be closed for a couple of weeks. 

Hopefully being in the dressage court is even better

So the audio is my project today with the SO who thinks he can figure it out for me. If it doesn't work, I'll just have to use a second phone to call the instructor on, and I think for the first few lessons, I'll try to have the SO there to troubleshoot anyway so I can use his phone if necessary. 

I'm glad my parents had such a ridiculous time making fun of me while they helped me test out the pivo. Definitely having the SO help next time... although he will definitely make fun of me as well. Clowns, I'm surrounded by them, including my horse who was constantly trying to knock down the Pivo. 

Overall I'm SO impressed!! I can't wait to take an actual lesson. I have NO idea who I'm going to try riding with first, I need to pick someone who is a bit techy, has good internet, and has time to waste (I mean, I'll obviously pay the person). I think I want to ask trainer friend, although she is very busy so I'll feel bad if it doesn't work out. Maybe during her lunch break?? 

2 comments:

  1. That's so cool that you got it to work (particularly since the first few months I had the Pivo it was too sketchy for me to even worry about adding the new layer of Pivo Meet lol). I'm sure you already read in the Pivo group but I think there were some suggestions for the audio issues in there, like super long range bluetooth wireless headphones or something? You may have already used those, so feel free to disregard :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, now I'm even more interested in getting one of these.

    ReplyDelete