![]() |
| Flames on the hillside next to us, there are mountains behind that smoke |
It was pretty terrifying, watching the fire spread in real time, seeing the flames so close and leaving nothing but black hillsides behind it. But let me tell you, Cal Fire is absolutely incredible. Literally seconds after I noticed the smoke, they were dumping red flame retardant on it from planes and the firetrucks were whizzing down our road ready to fight it. If only our publicly funded police were as good as our publicly funded fire departments.
I have to say that my horse is an absolute trouper, I had a decision to make when the fire began, do I finish my ride or do I just get off. I chose to finish my ride and he handled the sound of planes, helicopters, and sirens blasting overhead and down the road by the arena just fine. I then walked out and he let me video and take pictures of the fire from his back.
![]() |
| The fire started over there, view from the covered arena |
Luckily my rig is hitched up and at the ranch, so even if I'm not there, my rig is and TC gets in that easily. So any one of my barn mates could snag him and another horse. However, my truck keys are in my locked tack room, so I think during fire season, I'll find a different place to put the keys. When I figure that out, I'll write that into the fire plan, as well as any directions for how to use my truck.
My next step would be, where to take him. My parents place currently has an open stall, so when the fire broke out, I told my mom to brace for the most obnoxious monkey horse to come stay for a while. In my fire plan is going to be the address to my parents' place, the gate code to get in, both parents' phone numbers, and I'm also going to print out a map with directions just in case.
My parents know what he eats well enough to take care of him and even if I'm not there, I will probably be on my way and able to meet them there. But I'll probably print out care instructions for him to leave at my parents' place anyway. Just on the off chance that the SO and I are somewhere without signal, it's good for my parents to know how to take care of TC without me being there.
![]() |
| The amount of smoke was insane |
TC self loads easily, even under pressure, even if someone has no idea what they're doing. You point him at a rig and say the words "load up" or even just gesture toward it, and he hops right in quietly. I'll be putting directions in the fire plan to help people know how to put him in and to assure that he loads easily so he is not left behind.
![]() |
| Headed away from us, phew |
I'm so grateful that it didn't come to the barn, but it's still such a bummer that it happened at all. So far, no one has been hurt and only two structures have burned. We watched it get dangerously close to two houses in those hills but it passed them both. Not sure what happened on the other side of the hills as it moved south. When will people learn that fireworks are illegal in this county FOR A DAMN REASON.




Fires are scary, I'm glad you are ok and that you always have a plan
ReplyDeleteOh wow, that is scary to have to deal with! I'm glad everything was okay for you though. And a good wake up call to have a plan in place in case the next time isn't going to end as well.
ReplyDeleteBecause I've dealt with dogs that listen to mom and no one else have you had anyone not you, or even you, practice loading under pressure. Run out to pasture, grab TC, jog to rig and toss him on? It'd be a bit fake pressure but intro'ing it under fake pressure might point out gaps in his thinking that it's better to discover when faking vs under real emergency.
ReplyDelete