TC and I start with 10-15 minutes of wandering around the ranch. I'm a big believer in walking on hard ground being necessary for horses. Their circulation depends on the compression of their feet, so I always think of my 10-15 minute walks around the ranch as checking that box. When it's raining, I can't do this work, but I have been known to hand walk in the barn aisles sometimes.
| It takes a bit of time to get to this place |
After that, we go into a stretching trot and canter. I don't warm TC off the bit or on a loose rein. Why? Because I think the point of warm up is to warm up the muscles I want him to use in his workout, and that means his topline muscles. Warming him up off the bit defeats the purpose, it just warms up muscles I don't want him to use so he can... use them better? So that's a no for us. But I do warm him up his working gaits, lower in the poll and longer in the neck (and TC always asks if he can be BTV so a lot of my warm up is me saying no, get your nose out lol).
I haven't tracked how long we stretch for, but it's probably 10 or so minutes. Just a quick trot and canter with a short walk in between. The walk again is a medium walk, on the aids, marching. If I'm in the covered with mirrors, I look for overtrack and frame lengthening. If I'm out in the court, I can see a small amount in the reflection of one of the boxes so I can kind of keep an eye on that too.
![]() |
| I need to take more pictures of him before he goes completely white! |
My main goals in warm up are to address any issues that can be addressed in his working gaits. Right now the level of straightness I'm asking from him requires a bit of collection, he has to maintain more mobility in his forehand so that I can put him straight and work on movements like shoulder-in and renvers to help him develop the strength for straightness. But if I've got a tempo issue or a suppleness issue or a connection issue or he's not using his back well, I can address those in the working gaits before bringing him up into collection. The working gaits are less hard on him physically, so that's a plus, less wear and tear.
![]() |
| We also do a lot of walking on the trails |
He's more predictable now, so I'm hoping to put together better programming for him, let's call it. The purpose would be to not overschool movements that he already knows well, not exhaust him by doing too many days in a row working on a singular thing, and keep track of all the goddamn movements we're going to have to do in the future. It's easy to school all the First level movements in a ride, but beyond that, it's just not fair to ask him to do every single movement from Third, plus the stuff we're beginning to school in Fourth, and the half steps, and all the Second level stuff he needs to keep refreshed for showing that level this spring/summer. It's getting complicated!
So more on that in another post!


I do about 10 minutes of walk to warm up and another 10 to cool down adding an additional 5 wouldn't be a big deal, especially if its a nice active walk.
ReplyDeleteI scribed once for a judge who said that if every horse did 20 minutes of a nice marching, loose walk every day, we'd have far, far fewer injuries and soundness issues. I always do at least 10 minutes of that to start off, entirely on a loose rein, and that has only gotten more important as Tristan has gotten older.
ReplyDeleteAt my boarding barn I often see people who walk ONE lap of the indoor before starting to trot and it makes me insane. There's also no time between lessons frequently so it is difficult for me to get an appropriate walk warm up in the winter. People are usually jumping at the end of the lesson before so you have to hang out in safe places so they have have corners and lines to the fences. Basically spring can't come fast enough, lol. I can't wait to be able to walk all over the back field instead of going around in circles.
ReplyDelete