1. Favorite quirk your horse (or a horse you’ve spent time with) has?
Not sure if this counts, but TC has the best facial expressions!
![]() |
| This one is my favorite when he gets his ears all squished forward because he's so excited to, say, see that he has two judges |
![]() |
| Then this one, I think it's just when he's relaxing but he always looks like he's wondering what specifically in his life led to him being owned by me |
2. Three adjectives that perfectly describe your horse?
Goofy, hard-working, sweet.
3. Plan your next ride. What will you do/work on?
Getting my thigh to do what I want it to! Also probably some haunches-in and simple changes.
4. Have you ever trained an OTTB? If yes, what was the biggest challenge?
I have had many pass through my training barn over the years but never have owned any of them. They're all *very* different but I mostly have had to deal with tension and/or connection problems. Honestly though, lots of horses have those issues.
![]() |
| I couldn't find a picture of one of the TBs I had in my barn so look, my parents' ranch is so pretty sometimes |
I was an assistant trainer for a few years. It was a good experience! I got to ride a ton, compete client horses, learn about horse shopping for clients, learn how a big barn works, learn what I liked and didn't like about the business, and all sorts of other things. I'm very happy with what I'm doing now, but a lot of good memories in my life come from those times.
6. Favorite horse and rider combination?
TC and his future amateur who will spoil him like no other. There are a few riders in Northern CA who I always stop to watch ride if I see them riding. I don't want to name names. As for the international riders, I don't honestly watch a lot of dressage if it's not in person, it's kind of boring okay?
7. Have you ever ridden a horse at the beach?
Yes! I took TC there recently, have taken Rico, and have also ridden a client's horse as well.
![]() |
| We didn't get so far |
Honestly I love competing here, we have it easy in that I don't have to qualify for riding at specific levels (for dressage). I think if I were to go ride in another country for fun (not for like horse shopping or what not), I'd want to go foxhunting in Ireland.
9. In your opinion, what is an item of tack that is given unnecessary hype?
There is this one saddle that Devocoux makes that I think is THE STUPIDEST THING. You absolutely 100% cannot have a correct posting mechanic in this. Dear Devoucoux, please stop making this.
![]() |
| Sorry if anyone owns this, sorry mostly for your thighs which must be hurting if you ever try to post correctly in this |
10. What was the first horse you rode called? Are they still alive?
I think I rode my mom's pony, Princess, first. She is by no means alive. She died in like 1990. But she was a Morgan pony. Kind of like Sunny! Who my mom now has and loves.





Re #9: One of our new boarders had that exact saddle. I was helping her out and she couldn't change her position to be effective. I rode in it and it was awful. It has since been replaced because (thank goodness) it didn't fit her horse, and since it's foam, can't be flocked to fit. I love Devoucoux too, but omg that one is awful.
ReplyDeleteJESUS CHRIST the blocks on that thing!
ReplyDeleteI have seen saddles like that. They just lock you in one position and it's supposed to 'help'. I hate them. I feel like I'm being tied up.
ReplyDelete