Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Bouldering

This weekend was the first one I spent at home in a long time! No teaching, no traveling except to ride TC with my trainer and to see my brother, both are under an hour's drive from my house.

On Sunday, I rode TC bareback around the ranch and then chatted with an old friend who I hadn't seen since leaving this barn a year and a half ago. It was great to see her and so fun to wander around the ranch bareback on TC! Plus, we upgraded our bridle finally. It's an Eponia Frost and it is replacing my 16 year old Vespucci bridle that started to look rather unsafe. I'm super stoked to have it! It needs tons of conditioner but other than that, is really soft and fits TC's weird head really well.

New bridle!
From the barn, I drove straight up to visit my brother and SIL. I had texted them to see if they wanted to go do something that weekend. Brother was free but SIL had to work, so the two of us headed out to try bouldering (rock climbing with no ropes) for the first time ever.

I've been wanting to try rock climbing or bouldering (just want to climb some shit) for a long time now but have zero experience with it whatsoever. My brother has done it once so it was great to have someone there to help me understand. Now, once does not make him an expert, so we were roughly at the same level: terrible.


The levels went from V0 to V8 at the gym we went to. Most of the V0s were very doable, easy to hold on to, relatively straight forward, and not many of them had you climbing up and over like... terrain, or whatever you want to call it. The V1s got trickier and we managed to do one V2 and I only cheated once on that route.

It's freaking HARD. At first I was nervous about the height (you honestly aren't more than 6 feet off the ground, I had to remind myself that I was just as high up when I am on TC and that I had a soft padded landing), then I couldn't figure out how to climb over anything that wasn't just straight up and down. Once I was confident and semi-okay at climbing very straightforward routes, my hands hurt a TON. So that ended up being the limiting factor unfortunately.

We took a short break for my brother to spot me on bench (there were weights too!), I need to do more heavy bench work but it's hard to do by myself. And I also did a few back squats to work on form because that's been a tricky thing for me coming back from mono for some stupid reason.

My brother climbing one of the easier routes

We went back to climbing for a bit and went after the more challenging V1s. There was one that we couldn't figure out for quite some time, we kept taking turns sitting and yelling at each other where to put our feet, until I finally did it! It felt awesome to accomplish such a tricky... beginner route lol, but it made me realize that it was similar to riding - an athletic endeavor that requires problem solving skills. I love lifting and crossfit, but the more technical movements are the ones that hurt my wrist, so I don't do a lot of problem solving + physical activity except when riding.

Once our hands were too beat up to continue, I convinced my brother to get froyo with me (it wasn't difficult) and then we headed back to the house to play some video games. Climbing and video games, makes me sound like a bro, even though they were both my idea (my brother hasn't played co-op Portal 2, what a travesty). After that, we spent the evening at the ranch going through our old childhood stuff. I will spare you a picture of a quilt my brother's high school girlfriend made him with pictures of them. My SIL thought it was HILARIOUS.

We found the breyers and beanie babies of my
childhood in boxes. Keeping both for my
future niece!
But climbing was SO much fun though and I can't wait to go again. If the climbing gym near my work didn't have such a weird membership contract, I'd be signing up immediately. I'm still considering going a few times there to see if it's something I'm cool with signing a weird contract for. It's a really good upper body workout, for me at least, and for how I'm doing it, which is something I'm lacking in my current programming. I really don't need any more hobbies, but I do really like this one!

And it's always fun to spend time with my brother, we're both super busy so don't spend tons of time together anymore, but we're already talking about going bouldering again!

3 comments:

  1. Yay, you got to try climbing! I used to do a fair bit, especially in grad school (east TN has some amazing rocks in the Obed River valley), I even still have my harness, they're pretty inexpensive (ropes on the other hand, I never went that far, I just made friends with people who owned ropes). Just like riding, good climbing is all about legs, hips, balance & technique & it's just as much mental as it is physical (probably more so). Fun fact: women are often more successful climbers because they don't try to do it all with their arms. I don't have a lot of hand strength & have a chronic wrist that's a big dodgy, but it didn't matter.

    If you get an opportunity to climb with someone experienced or take a few lessons, it's totally worth it. A few tips that have helped me out:
    -use your eyes & look for your footholds before & while you make a move; energy conservation is a big skill & this saves a ton of energy rather than just feeling around for things.
    -move your feet first to create bend in your legs so you can use those big leg muscles to push your body to the next handhold.
    -chalk is awesome. always use chalk.
    -legs. legs. legs. legs. arms are just there to keep you from flipping over. cuz holding onto rocks with your teeth would suck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I boulder once a week through the winter with a friend. We're lucky to have a place 10 blocks from my house and 2 blocks from the CF gym. Also our bouldering place has a room at the top of the bouldering area that has an N64 in it, so I also combine bouldering and video games, lol. It's a lot of fun, I completely agree that I love the problem solving aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your brother is a cool guy and omg you have way more beanie babies than I ever did lol

    ReplyDelete