April PRs
Power Clean - 95# (failed 100# boo)
Strict Press - 60#
500m Row - 1:59
This month was kind of hit or miss. There were weeks I didn't go at all and weeks I went three days in a row. I'm getting a little bit frustrated with the programming, I will go on.
I like Crossfit for several reasons:
1) I get coaching lifting weights.
2) I love the community/taking group classes.
3) It keeps me in shape.
This gym hits on two of three. The community is great and even though I haven't been attending as regularly, I'm still in good shape. I plan on destroying my hiking partner this weekend like I destroyed my family the last time I hiked.
The lifting weights thing... Crossfit isn't all about lifting weights, but I do get frustrated seeing bodyweight and cardio workouts nonstop with no skill/strength section. I can do cardio at home. I can do bodyweight stuff at home. I can't lift barbells at home (not yet at least).
![]() |
| I also like being able to eat ice cream all the time |
It especially frustrated me when we were asked to find our max clean and jerk the last week in April. Great! A strength day!
But not having done a clean and jerk in months meant that while my strength felt okay, my timing for the lifts was bad. I failed a lift a few times and my coach tried helping by telling me to keep my chest up (then told me to stop overthinking it... girl) but I really need a whole strength portion at a lighter weight to fix this faulty movement pattern of mine.
You can't change movement patterns as you're walking into the show ring... and I can't change my movement pattern AND go for a max. The jerk was the same thing. I can jerk more than I can clean, so the jerk never felt bad, but I was again asked to change my movement pattern when the weight got heavier.
All this week has been non-stop cardio with no barbell work, so I ended up just not going after Monday (maxing C&J and 500m row day).
![]() |
| I took a picture of this cheapo 30lb bar, apparently you can't put more than 200lbs on it or it bends but like... I don't think my downstairs neighbors want me lifting anything particularly heavy |
- Go to this gym's non-cardio days as much as possible, utilize open gym, my work gym, and maybe even get a training barbell at home to practice
- Switch gyms to one that has a strength portion each day before the metcon
- Do nothing and continue to just complain about it
I'm thinking of trying 1 and 3 first. I do like this gym. The coaching is good, the equipment is nice, I have some friendly people I talk to (not friends with anyone like I was at my last gym though), the location is good, and the class times are great.
Plus, I do know that the cardio fitness makes me way happier outside of Crossfit (and hey it's fun to be just behind my coach for every cardio workout). But when I'm there staring at the barbells from my rower, I just want to kick the rower down, grab a barbell, and run out the door.
So I'm missing my old gym extra these days. We almost always had a strength portion, and there were separate strength classes to take as well. I could do 1-2 days a week of a metcon and then 3-4 days a week of strength and that was great for me! I was fit but I was having fun. I'd subject myself to the metcon knowing that the next day we'd be doing heavy deadlifts or squats.
We did have a recent survey go out so I did express my frustration there. Fingers crossed something changes! And maybe I'll go impulse buy that training bar.


Dang, I couldn't even touch a 1:59 500m row, that's awesome! CrossFit gyms are so much like barns, you find what you can put up with and what you absolutely have to have, I know you know that. It's just so hard to find one that covers all the bases. Usually 4/6 days a week my gym does either a strength component or a skill/gymnastics component before the WOD and it's perfect. What I'm saying is, worst come to worst I have some good programming I could send your way :)
ReplyDelete