Friday, October 26, 2018

Butthurt

Monday night when TC decided to get all butthurt... literally... I didn't know what was going to happen this week. Except that I'd be calling him butthurt a lot.

Sometimes he's totally fine the next day, but since we didn't really work him out of it, I figured he'd still be sore. So I decided to see what he was like on Tuesday night and then go from there. Tuesday night he was better, but still a bit sore. I tried to think nothing of it, but it was hard.

Hacking around on Thursday morning, he is
probably just faking it to get more hacks!
Predictably, I was up at 5am on Wednesday morning looking up what to do about it. If he's going to have some issues with soreness at this level, I want to get hold of it now before something like this derails a show.

There were a lot of ideas:

Massage Therapy: I grabbed the number of a massage person from Peony and also ordered a book on massage.

Massage Blanket: These things are so expensive!

Back on Track Blanket: Maybe he wants expensive clothes...

Magnetic Blanket: Do those even work?

Magnesium: I went to the store and got him some MagRestore, my mom says she isn't feeding Magnesium 5,000 anymore so I could have the rest of it. Not sure if this will be permanent since I'm pretty sure he's getting enough... but we'll see.

Cold Laser: Maybe it'd be good to cold laser his butt every day.

Liniment: I have some at the barn but keep forgetting to put it all over his butt.

We did a lot of walking in the water on Thursday,
I'm thinking it's good for him to pick up his legs
a bit higher and also it's fun!
At this point, TC is definitely feeling way way better. I longed him Wednesday night and when he started trotting, he was kinda funky on it, but definitely worked way out of it. Then Thursday morning he felt almost normal when I rode him. We mostly walked and then did about 8 minutes of trotting in two 4 minute sets. The second set I probably would have thought he was normal if I wasn't trying to feel something wrong with him.

But it's not worth pushing him until he feels completely back to normal, so we are going to just keep doing stretchy stuff until he feels 110%. I kind of expect him to be back to normal this weekend, but I'm being cautious.

And so I don't think I'm going to take my lesson on Monday even though I want to. Better to save the money to buy him a bunch of expensive shit he doesn't need and just postpone to November! I just really want to make sure he's okay.

Clearly feeling good enough to bite my foot
Going through a hopefully very mild lameness again made me think about his previous lamenesses. He came up lame with his suspensory injury, he came up lame with his stifle growing pains... and every time I had to call the vet and spend money on him I felt like I was taking this huge chance on him. Like bro you better be worth all the money I'm pumping into you.

This time I was just like "okay what's it going to take?" without having any of those feelings. He's totally worth all the butt massages he wants!

13 comments:

  1. Lol I thought one of you was figuratively butthurt about something. Hope it passes quick, whatever it is. I'm a fan of massage and Back on Track. I also thought Sore no More spray helped my back when it was hurting (but may just be placebo?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yah he's just literally butthurt. He's much better but I'm still super paranoid about it, horses!

      Delete
  2. I have Back on Track stuff. It was great for my cold-backed horse, but does really nothing for May. Magnawave has made a big difference for a few horses at my barn. It usually comes with a massage session.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know! I've never heard of magnawave, I'll definitely look into that.

      Delete
  3. Poor kid! Hopefully it's just some muscle soreness. Like maybe he got excited fighting birds in his paddock and pulled a butt muscle? Hopefully??!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah I think it was all the simple changes on quarterline I did in the indoor arena, the footing in there is a bit deep and more uneven than I like to ride in but I was stuck in there :/ I really hope it's not a big deal, he's pretty much back to normal now but I'm so paranoid!

      Delete
  4. C'mon, TC, STOP IT with the lameness already!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel pretty lucky with him, other than the suspensory, which was totally an accident, he's been fairly hardy.

      Delete
  5. I can sympathize- after doing squats yesterday I’m butt hurt too! Hopefully he bounces back quickly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know me too! I did 400m of walking lunges + back squats and deadlifts on Friday afternoon and I can barely walk today (Saturday) and am not expecting to feel better for a while.

      Delete
  6. I hope its just muscle soreness from working harder and that you can get a good idea of how to stretch and massage him to keep him working well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's what I'm hoping too, he's feeling better and better so that's good.

      Delete
  7. Back on track is a game changer, also, learn massage techniques you can do yourself. I have found them to be incredibly helpful.

    ReplyDelete