When he got sick this winter and we almost lost him multiple times I was really feeling that regret. I felt like I took for granted when he was healthy and now I might lose him and I really didn't take enough pictures and video. One thing I've learned over the years in general is that you can never take too many pictures or too much video (and I actually haven't learned, because I haven't taken very many pictures/videos of TC). Yet now that he's healthy again, I put the pictures of him out of my mind.
Until Britt posted about how she does the black background pictures. I don't comment on basically any blogs anymore because I'm almost constantly reading on mobile (thanks to my work tracking what we do on the internet, thanks guys, now I have to procrastinate on my phone) and it's tough to comment. So allow this to be a thank you to her for inspiring me to give it a try at my parents' center aisle barn.
| Phone picture. Rico was like "my modeling contract said I was going to receive MORE CARROTS THAN THIS" |
I unfortunately didn't have help and my wireless remote needs new batteries, so the actual picture taking was a bit difficult and time consuming. But the point was to just get the pictures done so I could stick them in photoshop and start learning how to do the post processing. Then if I wasn't satisfied, I could go out and (buy new remote batteries for a start) redo the shots. I also totally realized that I used the wrong lens to shoot this, I don't really have a portrait lens so I used my 18-55mm and wasn't zoomed in enough, oops.
Rico was super dirty, but he luckily was dirtier on the left side than the right, so I decided to just shoot that side. He really should have gotten a bath but I was pressed for time because of the light. And it wasn't quite well lit enough, my shutter speed ended up being too slow so he's a touch blurry. I know that's a cardinal sin, but there was so much wrong with this shoot, what the fuck ever. It was fun and that's all that matters.
I couldn't find my double bridle, which is in itself concerning, so I left him in his ugly halter. Ugh that halter is the worst. I wanted to buy him a nice new one with a plate on it, but I never could bring myself to do it since I knew he'd just retire and wear it like five times total. Maybe he needs one for another photoshoot. Or maybe I should find my damn double!
![]() |
| Ammy tip: sweep the fucking barn aisle first! But I do like this one, even though at this point I'm just dying to reshoot them all. |
I used my 10 second timer and kept yelling "stand, stand, STAND" while running back to him, offering him a cookie, pushing him back into standing square-ish (or at least not totally dorky), hearing the camera go off, abandoning him, running back to see the picture, cursing (usually), and repeating the process. I only got about 30 pictures to work with and a lot of them were of Rico wandering away, which is hilarious, but was frustrating at the time.
Next time I'm bringing a minion and/or having a remote. I'm surprised I got any usable pictures but for the first time trying, I'm happy I had something to work with in photoshop. The post processing was tricky for me, I think I'll do it in a slightly different way next time. Major thanks to Britt for the blog post that inspired/directed this
![]() |
| Ammy tip: don't have the barn door in the way or your ground will come out all wonky. I tried to clone it in but didn't have enough ground/skill to work with and it looked even stupider |


lol if i know anything about photography (which like, i totally do not), it's that it's hard. Rico is so damn handsome no matter what tho!
ReplyDeleteI'm just surprised he didn't look dirty! It was trickier than I thought, but mostly because I didn't have my remote! Definitely going to get new batteries soon and try again.
DeleteI will never ever regret the stupid amount of money I spent on pro photos of Lucy and me. And even blurry, they still look great! With the addition of a minion I bet they'll be awesome.
ReplyDeleteI really regret not getting some done when he was fit. I even thought about getting some when I was dressed up for graduation but forgot. I mean he's still handsome now but he's definitely showing his age.
DeleteHaha, glad to have been some inspiration! Doing it yourself is soooo hard. I got a couple of Jack because he was happy to just stand, but that was sheer luck. I think considering you were flying solo you did a good job! :)
ReplyDeleteRico was happy to stand with a sour expression and some weird leg positioning! Lol. Thanks!! I was pleasantly surprised that they even came out this somewhat decent. I'm going to bring someone out next time to deal with him, or at least get my remote working again.
DeletePLEEAAASSEEE share the pics of Rico walking away! And any time you want me to shoot -- I'm happy to. I'm sure I can figure your camera out, even though it's a Nikon and my fingers are adapted to Canon. I'm awful at thinking of or knowing what to do with people when they want portraits, but if you have an idea of what you want, I can be the goon behind the lens.
ReplyDeleteThese are gorgeous and I was giggling imagining you running back and forth and yelling about carrots lol
ReplyDeleteI so want to get into photography but I don't know the first thing
ReplyDelete