This time when he went lame, I went rapidly through the stages of grief until I got to INSANITY, and then I stayed there all by myself. That's a stage of grief, right?
| Change that first bit to "Life with Horses" to make it more accurate |
Monday: TC and I have a lesson with trainer, detailed in this blog post, aptly named The Beginning of Collection (since this one could be named The Delaying of Collection).
Tuesday: I took a lesson on another horse with my dressage trainer, then longed TC on a big circle in his normal chambon + side rein combo. He bolted two or three times and I found that putting him on a 10-15m circle (just one or two) in shoulder-in was a great way to get his focus.
Wednesday: I threw my horse at my trainer to ride so that I could go to the gym and not ride my crazy baby horse in the dark for a week! Trainer reported that TC was good, he rode him mostly on super light contact, trying to get him to reach out, and he also worked on the collection in the canter.
Thursday: TC came out fine, we wandered around the ranch a bit and then worked at the walk. He picked up the trot and felt okay, but a bit stiff. Then I realized that the inconsistent connection was consistently inconsistent where he was head bobbing on the right front leg. The one with the suspensory. FUCK. I got off. I longed him and.... fucking nothing. He maybe looked a touuuuch stuck on his left hind but zero head bobbing. So I walked him for a LONG time, lots of shallow haunches-in and shoulder-in, some leg yields, really focusing on getting him loser on the left side of his back and butt. Trotted him out, let him canter a bit, and he was fine. I still kept the ride light.
| Friday- you can always tell when TC has been in a trailer, ugh |
| Going places! |
Saturday: It was supposed to rain so I asked for a lesson with trainer. We did a ton of walk work to start and then... TC is lame again, head bobbing on the right front and stepping short on the left hind. Trainer palpates his butt and says that he's probably just really sore from the hard work on Friday (and Wednesday?). I convinced myself it was his suspensory though. Gave him some bute, surpass, and threw wraps on him.
Sunday: Get to the barn in the morning and TC had eaten his wraps off of his legs and peed on one of them. Okay. Butt still super sore, bute, surpass on the suspensory, and no wraps.
Monday: I decided I was too crazy to deal with this with the ol' wait-and-see. If he was lame, I was calling the vet. Trotted him on the longe line. He was lame. Frantically emailed the vet. Spent the next six hours searching for hind end lameness that also includes front end lameness that also includes sore butts. Stifle injury. FUCK. I (equine) Web-MD-ed myself into a panic and barely slept.
Tuesday morning: got an email from my vet saying he was out of town but that his lesser (IMO since I'm picky) yet still highly qualified (esp in lameness stuff) vet was around. Okay fine. Got a call from the vet confirming at 1pm. I was sick anyway so barely made it through my first meeting and then got in the car. Sat at the bagel shop drinking a weird boba smoothie thing that was way way too sweet for honeydew but was still good and ate half a bagel (for dinner I had the other half and some ice cream... good life choices all around!).
| Yum, wraps |
| Ugh |
The vet palpated him all over. The vet tech held him and tried to have a nice conversation with me:
VT: how long have you had him?
Me: a bit over a year
My brain: and you won't have him for much longer
Me: *gets choked up*
VT: he's so cute, how old is he?
Me: five
My brain: and already had two severe injuries, you're a great horse owner
Me: *holding back tears*
VT: what breed is he? He looks super fancy
Me: he's a friesian... *sniff* friesian oldenburg
My brain: and you'll never be able to afford one like him again because no one will ever sell you another horse
VT: wow that's so cool
My brain: she knows you break horses all the time and she hates you for it
| Hi mom I just want you to know how much I love the vet |
I happily handed the horse off to her and sat off to the side sort of ignoring the whole process. I'm lucky that my mom is
Loaded him up with a bit of dorm after he wouldn't trot with the nice vet tech and instead tried to bite her to get her to play with him. Lame on the left hind and right front. Because they often compensate, it wasn't clear if it was a) the suspensory acting up so then he overloaded his left hind and hurt it or b) hurt his left hind and overloaded his suspensory, making that get sore.
We went to longe TC to see if it got worse on a circle (it did), but TC, who had been off since Saturday was NOT having it. I watched him leap across the ground, spin toward the handler, and rear up about half way. All I could think was damn, he's so elegant.
More dorm.
Horse quietly trotted around in the circle. I ask the vet whether I can get some dorm. He thought I meant for riding the horse. I mean yeah both of us could probably use dorm on a regular basis.
| At the vet check |
After all that, I had a couple of choices. Do we block the suspensory or do we assume it's the suspensory? I know his suspensory is a bit fucked up, sure. But I also know that it was totally fine a month ago at the last ultrasound and that he's honestly not had such hard work since then to suggest a reinjury (plus it wasn't swollen, just a bit sore when palpating it, which honestly, if you palpated the ligament damage in my back, it'd hurt but it doesn't hurt when you don't poke it). So by blocking the suspensory, we could find out whether the lameness behind was compensatory (so he'd get all better with the block) or something else.
I had no idea what to hope for. He was still lame. So it was something in his hind leg.
The next step could have been to block up the hind leg. But the vet was fairly certain that it was either a weakness in his stifle (but not an injury because he palpated normally) or that he was chiropractically out in his SI joint. I'm not the hugest believer in chiro for horses, but let me tell you that I am super super lame when my SI joint is fucked up.
Either way, the prognosis was the same at least at first: chiro/acupuncture and then ease him back into work and lay off the collection for a while. Then if it comes back, we treat the stifle with an injection or blistering. Vet is fairly certain that my extremely unofficial, driven-by-insanity diagnosis of a stifle injury isn't the case. Phew.
| TC's first experience with acupuncture was ridiculous, he's settled here, but his face when they put the needles in at first was hysterical |
Apparently it's relatively normal for a big young horse to have trouble with their stifles as they grow up? Much of the information I found on stifles was from injuries in older horses where they slipped or fell. That plus me getting sick and being pumped full of cortisol already made me jump some huuuuge boundaries to get to all of my terrible conclusions.
It's not over yet. Well, we can hope that he just comes back totally normal and good. But it's not good news per say (honestly though the only news that could have been good news is them telling me that I've won a million dollars and that my horse is now a cyborg and won't ever go lame again), it's just not terrible terrible news.
So we wait. We wait five days of hand walking and then we start trot work. A week later my trainer leaves for a month. And by leaves I mean tries to leave and then gets locked in the trunk of my car and made to stay.
We'll see. Right now I'm just trying to stay positive and ease the cortisol (and mucus, ugh, I'm home sick) out of my system.
I would have freaked out too but this sounds okay.
ReplyDeleteLocking the trainer in your trunk might not be the very best of ideas....
HE CAN'T LEAVE ME!!
DeleteI'm sorry your horse likes the vet too much, Stampede does too. I hope your boy is feeling better after his 5 days of hand walking and it's just a small blip.
ReplyDeleteUgh I wish the vet would be meaner to him. Although he was very certain that the vet was poisoning him with the cookies he was offered. I had to go get his cookies, which were the SAME FUCKING COOKIES just in his own jar. Then he happily ate them. Ugh horses.
DeleteLast time my vet brought Stampede several apples, I'm pretty sure he wants to go live with her.
DeleteGlad you didn't get terrible terrible news, and fingers crossed TC is right as rain again soon. Ever since the IG post I've been stalking for an update. Sending positive thoughts for both of you!! (Because everything is infinitely more terrible when you're sick, ugh)
ReplyDeleteThanks!! :) Yah I think the illness and some mild stress from work made my reaction like 200x worse.
DeleteI've never owned a nice, fancy horse, but I do own a big horse that I've had from a very young age, and he had awful, AWFUL stifle problems for a solid two to three years. It was never an injury either, just weakness and soreness that often presented as lameness. Chiro really helped him out a lot, and of course just general strengthening as I'm sure you know. SO happy to hear it's not something worse with TC!!! Instant insanity and worst case scenario is always the best option to jump to imo. Hope he feels better in no time!
ReplyDeleteInteresting! I'm really glad you told me that, I've never owned a big young horse- Rico was eight when I bought him and most of the young horses I've worked with have been smaller. So this just screamed injury to me so much.
DeleteI'm really hoping the chiro and some strength building work will help us out, I really wish we could go out on the trails to do some hill work, but that damn suspensory keeps us from doing too much. Hopefully next year!
Hampton had a "hitch" in his back end for years because he was young, big, growing. It was weak stifles. It's just been maybe the last 2-3 years that the hitch has totally disappeared. I never injected or anything (tho many people do for therapeutic reasons), and eventually he got stronger. I think his stifles are still weak but it just shows up in different ways now (oh like rein lameness in half pass ... head bobs on the right front, but it's actually a left hind problem). UGH. These horses.
ReplyDeleteAhh this makes me feel better too! Thanks! I really hope it's a strength issue (makes sense since it's only been the last week or two that we've been pushing for more collection in the canter) rather than an injury. Good to know that Hampton got better from what I'm really hoping is the same thing!
DeleteI've been keeping my fingers crossed ever since I saw your IG. Hopefully things continue to improve and it is just growing pains.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I'm really hoping it's just growing pains too, he's definitely packing on muscle really fast but that's bound to come with some growing pains I hope.
DeleteOh boy. I hope at the end of his 5 days, TC is feeling good again and that this is just a small blip. And I would have totally jumped to worst case everything conclusions too, because that is obviously the right and only solution to times like this!
ReplyDeleteHopefully he's happy to go back to work this weekend, I really don't want him to have too much time off, lest he go completely bat shit. It's so easy to jump to crazy conclusions, especially when sick and already stressed! Damn horses.
DeleteUgh I'm so sorry you have to go through all of the anxiety associated with this! It's so much worse than the actual THING, isn't it? I've done Estrone therapy for weak/locking stifles and it really, REALLY helped. Plus it was way cheaper than injections. Whatever you choose, I hope TC is feeling better soon and that you get some peace of mind! (p.s. you're not a terrible horse owner)
ReplyDeleteThanks :) I'll definitely look into the Estrone therapy! I really hope that he's totally fine and I look back on this post and say "oh, yah he was lame on that left hind that one time, weird" rather than the alternative... Fingers crossed!
Deleteugh. TC. ffs. it's like if he's not actively climbing the walls and wrecking something that way, he's growing oddly and uncomfortably! hopefully this is only temporary and is easily managed!!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I keep saying that if this horse survives his youth, he's going to be a great horse! He's so obnoxious! The vet recommended a few things that I had to decline, like "I'd love to put BOT wraps on him overnight every night for his suspensory but he'd chew them off and they're expensive" or "I understand that walking him undersaddle would be better than hand walking but he has a serious bolting problem," ugh I can't wait til he can live in a bigger paddock and not be so nutty.
DeleteSo sorry you're having to deal with this. Fingers crossed that all is fine soon!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I'm really hoping it's all just going to go away and I'll forget that this ever happened.
DeleteUgh I knew you were freaked out but you are so quiet over text and stuff, you know you can just verbal diarrhea on me right? Fingers crossed the time off is just what he needs.
ReplyDeleteI knowwww I'm sorry :( I was getting sick (soooo sick today omg) so I think that added to my crazy. I also got weirdly superstitious about it, hence pulling yesterday and today's posts down that had already been written. Ugh sick brain is crazy brain.
DeleteUgh I hate how our brains immediately jump to Worst Possible Scenario. But I'm so glad it's not an injury and I really hope that a couple of days of handwalking (or kite flying, whichever) has him right as rain again.
ReplyDeleteAlso I hope your car has a decent-sized trunk, and don't forget to "accidentally" leave some water bottles and a granola bar or two in there.
Fingers crossed you are both feeling much better soon!
ReplyDeleteFriesians genetically tend towards locking/weak stifles. Add in a growing gelding and it can set you up for some troubles. Hills and cavelettis are your friend and the stronger you can keep him, the better he will be.
ReplyDeleteWhenever any animal is sick or hurt, DO NOT GOOGLE. It's like the worst possible thing you can do... although EXTREMELY difficult to actually, you know, NOT DO.
ReplyDeleteI definitely had a mini heart attack. Thank god he is ok
ReplyDeleteffs... horses. -_-
ReplyDeleteFingers crossed for you guys!