Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Testing the Limits

On Friday, Ali and I took TC and her horse out on the trails again! Please enjoy the random hiking pictures (these are NOT from our trail ride) to break up this post.

Waterfall loop! It wasn't very long but it
was very pretty

Cooper had a blast!

Love the roots

First, TC is getting so much better at that facility, he's easier to bridle (thanks to sugar) and stands still instead of trying to pull me out to the tracks.

We headed out and immediately saw some people in front of us on horses. TC was STOKED. He thinks that everyone wants to meet and hang out with him, so not only does he try to stick his head in the lap of any person hiking or even biking out there, he makes a beeline for any horses he sees. So immediately I had to hold him back (with his head straight up in the air, ugh) from trotting after these people. Luckily they headed down to the right and we headed up to the left so we were on our own. TC was kind of upset, he kept trying to turn around and look back and even called for them. Poor social pony.

He was definitely feeling a bit more fit than he has been. I'm not working on fitness at all, friesians are notorious for not having much in the gas tank (although I did work with one who was VERY forward) and therefore not having much stamina, so I want him better trained before I start pushing the fitness issue. But we did an hour and a half trail ride up and down hills, so he's not totally unfit.

We had a good amount of trotting and a bit of cantering as we headed up the hill and then along the ridge. Then we had to take a walk break and went winding down through some trees. Overall it was a really pleasant trail ride- the only thing he spooked at was some big leafy plants on the side of the road (wtf).

Such pretty flowers!
This picture took so long to get! There
were so many people in front of the
waterfall...

As we rounded the bend to head along the ridge again, he took off trotting and then cantering and I couldn't stop him (stupid soft dressage bit)! He was having a blast as he careened around a turn and cantered downhill. He wasn't going fast and I knew there was a bridge coming up that he'd stop to stare at, so I wasn't worried about it. I did get him stopped before the bridge and he walked over it cautiously.

Knowing he was full of it, I waited until the next uphill part and let him go. He took off cantering and was actually moving quite forward. It was great to see the kind of freedom coming out of his canter that he's currently playing with in the trot in the arena. But then his neck went down and he started shaking it. I expected bucks but what I got was... a lead change? Suddenly we were on the other lead! This is the third time I've gotten a change out of him, once on the longe, and twice now on the trails. I think there's a third level horse hiding under all of that hair!

Pretty waterfalls

Cooper hanging out in the woods

On Sunday, I headed out to the ranch to ride Isabella and TC.

As I mentioned last week, I ordered a chambon for TC. I want to do more longeing work with him so that he's better about it and figured that longeing in a chambon would be really good for him. He tends to retract his neck and raise his poll, so I wanted to put him in something that would encourage him to lower and lengthen his neck. Side reins don't really do that very well, so I figured I'd buy a cheap chambon.

I put him out on the longe and immediately I felt horrible because I always think of him as being lazy, but I sometimes forget that he's sensitive. So he wouldn't go out on the longe and I used body language to tell him to get out (stepping toward him a bit aggressively and pointing the whip at him) and he was so scared! I immediately brought him in and pet him and told him that he was okay. Poor pony!

Near the old dam

I sent him back out and he wasn't quite sure what to do with the chambon, he kept resisting it. Honestly, it probably wasn't tight enough, but he's three years old, I'm not going to push it. He did seem to understand it at the walk and twice during the trot he stuck his nose on the ground. There wasn't much middle ground though.

Then I got on (chambon came off, I know some people ride in them but I don't). He was immediately a little shithead. He wouldn't go on the bit at the walk, and then coming into trot he just charged off. Part way through trotting, he decided to canter, which was fine, I guess. I brought him back to trot and he then spooked and bolted down the longside. Coming around again, he spun away from a thing that he had passed the entire ride.

Then I cracked down on him. He had a good CTJ moment as he was made to go on the bit, respond to half halts, and not dart around like a manic. He responded really well and we ended up having a really nice ride! What a nutcase.

He also wore hind boots to ride on Sunday, so that basically made up for his asshole moments.

Loved it out there
Such a good dog

Blaming this sudden bout of crazy behavior on the windy weather, I was slightly nervous to get Isabella out. She's been okay for me, but not really on board with my program of not going as fast as she can at all times and accepting contact. I tacked her up and we headed to the arena to longe and were met with two crazy kids on crazy horses, a green rider on a nice horse, and someone hand walking. I found a place to longe and she was surprisingly good. I've been installing the half halt on the longe with voice commands so then I can just use the voice commands while riding so that she understands. She's not the sort of horse you can manhandle so this has been helpful.

We did a LOT of transitions on the line while kids were galloping past us screaming, people were riding around us, and a dog decided that the whip was the best toy ever and chased it around behind her. Not once did Isabella flick an ear, not even when the dog ran right in front of her.

So I got on... riding a super hot young horse who I don't know very well in this kind of chaos made me a bit on edge. I quickly calmed my hot seat down as much as I could and we did some walking and then picked up the trot.

Oooo pretty

Mini waterfall!

She was great! The whole time!

First, she dealt with all this crazy shit (dogs, kids, other riders, people walking in and out, etc) very well. No spooking, no flinching, not even when both kids were jumping fences and galloping behind her, screaming.

Second, she's totally now on board with the slow and steady program! In the past, she's been a bit unsteady in the bridle and speedy, Sunday she was balanced, responded to every half halt, and stayed steady in the bridle (although off the bit- but better than head tossing). I introduced turns on the forehand, and leg yield in walk and trot! She loved the lateral work and seemed really interested in it.

Overall, I was sooo pleased with her. I think she's understanding what I want a lot better and is realizing that I'm not going to fight with her, I'll just be persistent. She's a challenge for me but so incredibly talented and sweet, love it!

So funny how the "good one" became the naughty one and the one who I would have expected to be kind of silly in the weather and the crazy became the "good one." Young horses are fun!

Such a pretty river (which is more of a creek now...) 

One of my favorite pictures

4 comments:

  1. That trail ride sounds so fun! So funny that TC is starting to offer lead changes. What an overachiever! ;)

    My trainer has a Friesian/Dutch (I think). He's so strong and fit. Part of it is that he's schooling most of Grand Prix, but the other part is that he's a cross. I don't think the crosses have as much of a problem with fitness as the purebreds. Something to consider!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it's kinda of funny that TC's friskiness on the trail presents itself through lead changes lol. glad he worked through his naughtiness in the arena tho - that's the kind of change in a horse that really frustrates me and tests my patience...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naughty TC finding some Hugh jinks and testing the boundaries as he gets fitter.
    Is a bell a sounds like she handled all that chaos with grace and maturity. I can tell you right now my older girl (she will be 11 in May) would not have been as good as Is a bell in that scenario

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stupid autocorrect Isabella not Is a bell a Grrrrr

      Delete