I got off work a tad early so had time to bathe him beforehand (he is in a perpetual state of dirtiness which I sometimes feel embarrassed about enough to wash him). As I was bathing him, I noticed a LARGE amount of hair coming off of him.
Oh god. It's coming.
Rico has the thickest winter coat I've ever had the unfortunate experience of clipping. Suddenly, overnight it seems, he is growing hair like he was doused in rogaine. IT'S STILL AUGUST! When Rico gets hairy like this, he gets overheated and sometimes I can't even finish a ride because he's dripping in sweat and can't catch his breath. We can't go to this show all mammoth-style.
I asked Heidi if she thought I should clip him before the show. At first she said maybe wait until Tuesday to decide. But then she said yes once as he was dripping in sweat and his respiratory system wasn't recovering very well.
So tomorrow my labor day is going to be spent clipping a certain horse bald so he can actually get through his test this weekend without passing out. Whyyyyyy.
Alright so we did still ride despite being so furry. We're kind of just doing ALL THE MOVEMENTS at all of our lessons these days, so my rides at home are turning into basics rides, working on throughness, energy, and straightness. That's all fine and dandy for me since I do struggle in my small arena to do the movements correctly.
| My first and only Grand Prix on Leo May 2011! |
![]() |
| Look how the half passes have progressed! This one June 2013 at 4-2 |
![]() |
| Woops, June 2013 at our second 4-2 |
![]() |
| October 2013 PSG |
![]() |
| August 2014 Intermediare II (look how much better I sit!) |
![]() |
| Passage August 2014 Intermediare II |
Then we played with the twos and extended canter. I'm not nearly GOING enough in the extended and I tend to come out of the corner counter bent (so he may change) so I'm going to play with the geometry at home and hope for at least a 6 with the comment "conservative." The twos are okayyyy. They aren't as straight as I'd like them to be and he needs to be pretty forward to make them decent, but we got a 6.5 on them last time so I'm hoping to maintain that as long as I remember to count!
![]() |
| Hopefully this show is not as sproingy |
We schooled more medium trot than we normally do, lots of medium canter, and lots of twos. So by the time we start the ones, he's barely doing two in a row, let alone three. Heidi's technique is to start with two, then go three, then go four, etc. But the problem is that by the time we're even trying four, his tootsies are sore/tired/etc. I dunno. We both agreed that it would take a legitimate miracle to put 15 on by next week, so we're going to attack them after the show and hope for a 4 on them this show. I think I'll pull another 3.
Finally, we did the pirouettes. They are MUCH better than they used to be (especially taking into account that he was already very tired by this point) but I struggle in the set up. I always push the hind end too much in and then lose his shoulder. I push the hind end since when I try to straighten him, he wants to do changes. So my homework is to fix the set up. I'm to come up centerline, set him up in a shoulder-fore, do about eight steps of pirouette canter, then go forward, change, and set him up for the other one in a shoulder-fore with eight steps of pirouette canter. Heidi said solid 6.5 on the left one, and that if I ride the right one like I did yesterday, 6!
![]() |
| Left (good) pirouette June 2013 at 4-2 |
![]() |
| Right (bad) pirouette October 2013 at PSG |
![]() |
| Left (good) pirouette June 2014 at Intermediare I |
I have hope! We have one more lesson before the show, and at that lesson we're going to try out my warm up from Greenville. Heidi said we should plan on doing all the lateral work at the walk instead of the trot and canter to conserve energy. She also agreed to no ones and no pirouettes. We're doing a few minutes in walk to get the half passes aligned and pick out how the zig zag will ride. Then a little trot and canter to get energy. Passage and one piaffe to get my legs doing their job. A couple of small canter circles and a line of twos. That's it. Then the test. That's terrifying.
![]() |
| I'll be incredibly happy to be done! |










Love reading how you're planning to tackle the test. Super stoked for you and Rico!
ReplyDeleteIt's great how you break down all the movements and figure out where you can improve and do better.
ReplyDeleteHope all goes well and that you can enjoy the experience around the nerves!
Sounds like a great warm up plan! What an interesting idea about the ones. It makes a lot of sense that he would be fatigued and sore if you worked too many of the ones. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited for you! You are definitely prepared, and you and Rico will kick butt in your GP!! :)
ReplyDelete