![]() |
| My little appaloosa |
![]() |
| Ignore the ill-fitting halter... |
![]() |
| Fixed the halter... |
This week is spring break! And I started off the week by visiting my brother, his girlfriend, and my best friend in southern California before coming back to a big dose of ego deflation at my lesson with Tracey this Tuesday night.
![]() |
| Ego deflation made better by pretty pictures |
That's what you want in a trainer, eh?
But I have no problem seeing crookedness in my students. I can see someone sitting crooked from a mile away, but myself? Nothing.
Good thing I have my own trainer!
The lesson wasn't great. I mean it was great because Tracey knows all but it wasn't great because I almost cried like six times. Part of that is left over from midterms, part of it is the stress from last weekend, part of it is because of a few other minor personal issues that arose earlier in the day. But most of it is because I was having a minor tantrum.
![]() |
| Lucky horse |
I have myself completely deluded into thinking that Rico is heavy on the left rein and that pulling is the answer. Lately he's been heavier. Interesting that he's heavier the more I stress. And the more I stress the more I pull... Totally unrelated. Not.
Tracey scolded me for hanging on the curb rein at the beginning of the lesson. I dropped it a bit and felt the heaviness on the snaffle. Ugh. I complained. Tracey gave me a list of reasons why he's feeling heavy and we began plugging away. First, I ride him too much behind the vertical. Second, his neck gets short. Third, I PULL ON THE FUCKING REINS ALL THE TIME LIKE MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT.
![]() |
| At least the barn I board at is beautiful? |
After fixing the first two, we began on the third. Don't pull on the left rein, Megan, don't do it.
I struggled a LOT and we stopped. We evaluated why I pull on the rein. I pull because I feel like I need to. I pull because he's heavy on that rein and I need to *soften* him. I pull because he isn't bending.
News flash: none of those reasons are real but Tracey was more delicate than I would have been.
Tracey asked me to uberstreichen. Basically let go of the left rein. Pfft, I thought, he's going to fall on his face if I do that, he's going to counter bend, he's going to come off the bit.
He stayed in balance. He stayed uphill. He lightened. He stayed bending. All that happened was that I felt his little brain sigh in relief as his stupid rider finally got her head out of her ass and rode properly for once.
DAMNIT! Like I said, my ego is pretty badly bruised.
![]() |
| He isn't totally perfect... I mean he does paw occasionally |
"Why do you pull on the left rein?" and I had no answers. I don't know why I pull on that rein.
I'm not going to pull on it anymore. Rico approves.
![]() |
| Rico also approves of fresh shavings |
![]() |
| And naps! |
Today I have an ENTIRE day off for the first time in a long long time. I plan on reading, running if it stops raining, cleaning all my tack, and riding my awesome horse.









I both hate and love those difficult lessons. My trainer is finally back from Florida after three months. I'm both excited and terrified for my first lesson back with her. I'm going to try not to cry, but no promises.
ReplyDeleteYour pony is so lovely. His dapples are divine :)
My horse is a dapply bay too - I love it!
ReplyDeleteSounds like an emotional lesson :/
Your left hand and mine may be related. Perhaps you can record Tracey reminding you to let go and send it to me, so I can have reminders while I ride?
ReplyDeleteStupid left hand. Why doesn't it pay attention?!?!