Monday, April 8, 2013

High as a Kite

Rico is getting better! This weekend I started doing real work with him and today I managed to get some really nice work out of him amidst the craziness. I also got some pictures! 

Today Rico seemed fine in the cross ties as I got him ready (while watching 30 Rock, how am I going to exist at a boarding stable when I can't watch television shows in the barn aisle?), but when I went to get on him, all hell broke loose. Rico doesn't do well with days off, one is okay but any more and he's kind of sketchy to ride. Today there was a blanket (!!) near the mounting block and as I jumped on, he ran backwards and spun across the mounting block.

At the end of the driveway on our way out to our daily trail ride, there were two recycling cans and one overturned garbage can. We barely made it out the gate before he started snorting and threatening to spin. I wouldn't let him spin, so he stood up and then spun. What a resourceful horse. I turned him back around and he reared again so he could spin. So I swatted him and all four feet came up off the ground. That was it for me, he wasn't getting his fun trail ride if he was going to be an asshole. So I took him up to the arena and put him right to work.

He was high as a kite in the arena, of course, but he was manageable until my dad came home and spooked him as the car went past the horrifying garbage cans. Once back on track, I started with the walk-trot transitions and his trot got better and better. I asked (begged) my dad to come out with my camera and take some pictures and he agreed!!

I haven't had pictures since before my first lesson with Tracey and I was both excited and apprehensive about seeing how Rico and I looked.
 I was not disappointed!
Rico was good for the most part and I was cantering on the right lead when we passed my jacket and he spooked, spun, and bolted. My dad was surprised, since Rico galloped right at him, but he caught the beginning of it on camera. Super hilarious.
The most ridiculous picture of my life

Such a scared and athletic pony!

My slightly demonic laughter after he bolted
Once we got enough pictures, I allowed my dad to go back to what he had been doing and I did some more transitions and canter work. I played a bit with the corners that Tracey had us doing at our last lesson to prepare for the pirouettes and they felt great! I then messed with the pirouettes and they felt much better than they had before that lesson so I think we're on the right track for 4-2 in May or June.

What a good pony! I need to stop slouching...

So fancy

So I was really happy with the ride today despite the rearing and the bolting... I'm glad he's sound and having a good time I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment