Sunday, October 28, 2012

THIS horse

Today was such an amazing day. I was so incredibly proud of my horse and all the hard work both of us have put into bringing him back from all of the injuries that he has had. I can confidently say and have been able to confidently say for the last nine months or so, that THIS horse is the horse I always wanted. Today proves that as I cantered up centerline on a horse who was light and responsive, a horse who I didn't have three years ago when all the drama started.
This picture sums up today- Rico is AMAZING and I'm hanging in there
But it was not the score I wanted, I went off course, and classic Rico added some fun things into the test that I didn't think were fun, but I had to bring myself back to three years ago when I was fighting an unknown lameness and the vets said that they didn't know if he would ever come back to dressage, let alone fourth level.
LOVE
With a lot of hard work, vet visits, and rehabilitation plans, I can happily say that my horse and I returned to fourth level, we earned the highest score we have ever earned at that level, and WE HAD FUN DOING IT!
Our first centerline in three years!

The best part of today was reminiscing about how far we have come. Three years ago in September 2009, I showed 3-1 and 3-3 with scores in the low 60s. He was nearly impossible for me to get along with- he was a very physical ride, he didn't care what I thought, and he was right in thinking that bucking was a good way to control how much I asked of him.

Bucking through our test in September 2009
In November 2009, Rico's leg blew up and he was diagnosed with a suspensory. I sent him to rehabilitation in Gilroy with hopes of having him back in the spring.
Rico in the aquapacer at rehab in December 2009
In February 2010, I brought him back but something wasn't right. I fought with abscesses, swellings, and a horse that used to be an 8 mover but was now moving like a pony.
I am not a pony!!
June 2010 the vets gave up and we took him down to Alamo for an MRI. The injury was a lesion on the deep digital flexor tendon and my horse needed surgery. We did the surgery and I started bringing him back, but he wasn't coming back. He launched me and threw out my SI for the first time. I knew that if he came back, he was going to be that impossible horses again so in September 2010, I moved him to my parents ranch and gave up on him for good.
Not a bad life for a broken down retired horse
April 2011, financial problems took me down to my parents ranch too. There I was, broken after my second SI injury and losing weight due to a stomach ulcer caused by the painkillers I was on. He was just sitting there and so was I, we were broken together. One day I decided to ride him, I trailered him over to the nearby arena and hopped on him bareback. He went right on the bit, he was sound and moving better than ever.
Starting to move like he used to!
October 2011, we're back to nearly full work and have our first lesson in a couple years. I had plans for bringing him all the way back to fourth level and showing him in 2012.
Even started cavalletti
December 2011, we're fighting hock problems and I'm struggling with the idea of injecting them. February 2012, we take our first lesson with Heidi and the next day he comes up lame with a check ligament injury after galloping around in his pasture. Back to square one.
This horse has had enough cold hosing for a lifetime
June 2012, he's back! But then shows up lame in 3 out of 4 legs. I chose to inject his hocks, taking a big financial risk on a very injury prone horse.
Turns out it was worth the risk, but how was I to know?
August 2012, he feels amazing, I finally have my horse back. Better than my horse- he is light, easy to ride, and FUN. But then the behavioral problems come back, he's rearing, bucking, launching and overall very unhappy. I dealt with it as long as I could but when he started losing muscle, I realized that his saddle wasn't fitting him. I bought a new one.
He's back! But without muscle?
October 2012, here we are! Rehabilitated for what I am hoping will be, but likely will not be, the last time.
But we're happy to have gotten this far!
I would love to say that today is the day that made everything worthwhile. But honestly, it isn't, because what we went through was a blessing in disguise. Everything that we have gone through has led up to this moment.
Shoulder-in is better than it's ever been
Without Rico's injuries, I would not be a Grand Prix rider, or have my A rating. Without Rico's injuries, he and I would have never been forced to work together to get through all of this, strengthening our relationship. Without his injuries, Rico would not be the horse that he is today, the horse that I can't wait to go ride every day, the horse who doesn't injure my shoulders or ignore my aids or buck me off when he is frustrated.
School canter which we got a 7 on for the first time!
This is the horse that I wanted all along, and I'm so grateful for all that we have been through that led me to THIS horse.
I love this horse

No comments:

Post a Comment