Friday morning, I headed out to see TC. Yep, morning!
I ended up taking the day off on Friday for a few reasons. One, I had stopped accruing vacation time, which surprised me. At first I was like "meh horse so expensive, can't afford to go anywhere," but then I realized that with my crazy driving schedule, I should take days off when they help me reduce my driving. Taking the day off actually saved me two hours in the car.
| Want cookies |
This meant that if I wanted to see TC (I did) and wanted to make it to dinner on time, I had to get up SUPER early to start work early, hope beyond hope that nothing was assigned that day that had to be done that day so I didn't get delayed, frantically drive in traffic out to TC, then turn around and drive straight down to the south bay from the rehab place in traffic.
Or. Or... I could just take the day off. And go see TC in the morning, come home and pack everything up, eat lunch at home, relax with my cat a bit, and then head down early for dinner to avoid traffic. That sounds a lot less stressful!
| He's so narrow still |
I got there in the morning after a leisurely drive (this weekend was so amazing). TC smelled really great, so it was clear that he'd had a bath recently. He's basically all shed out and is looking really good. Quite strong, although his topline isn't very impressive because he's simply not using those muscles.
| LOL fuck you TC, we'll wait until your vet check to look at that bump |
And we got to see that strength come out as my baby horse freaked the fuck out about nothing walking over to get his hose down. They hose the horses down before letting them swim, I think mostly just to get them used to the water so it isn't such a shock.
| OMG THINGS ON THE LEFT |
| OH WAIT NO MISTAKE |
| OMG THINGS ON THE RIGHT (look how much he can bend his hocks!) |
He swims about 5-6 laps at this point, which is a LOT, he came out of the pool quite amped.
Then after swimming he goes in the walker for a while. The guys were telling me that he's normally calmer, which made me feel better and worse at the same time. Better because phew I'm glad he's not THIS crazy all the time, since if that was the case, it'd be a miracle that he didn't kill himself. But worse because ugh he definitely acts up more around me. I'm really not sure why.
Stress these days is piling up so I've been crying about everything (I cried because my photographer friend offered to come take pictures of TC and I when he comes back- oh and I'm getting teary right now writing about that lol cortisol, it does a body good). Obviously after that I had a good childish cry session on the way out thinking that I just bring the worst out in this horse.
But the reality is that I take things too personally, it was also windy so that could have contributed to it. And he's an easily distracted horse and I'm not normally there when he swims/walks and he probably sees me as a carrot machine. I mean if a vending machine full of cheesecake was bustling around the office telling me I was cute, I probably wouldn't do my job very well either.
| Excuse me walker, I would like to walk faster |
okay he shouldn't be cantering but look at how slow
he can canter now!
After the walker there was one other big spook where he ran sideways but once as he was back in his stall, he was fine. I slowly gave him the rest of the carrots doing carrot stretches and just generally having him be a little more polite about things. This horse is freakishy flexible. He can now reach on both sides back past his flank. Eventually he will be able to literally put his own head up his ass, this fall he could only figuratively do that. Progress, tangible progress.he can canter now!
He's such a sweet fun horse. I left feeling a bit split about him. I was thinking when he was spooking and being over-reactive that I just need to sell him- he isn't the horse I bought and that's okay. It's not admitting defeat, it's a fact that we're probably not a match. I don't like unpredictable horses, and he's a big strong guy with a serious flight mechanism. But then back in his stall he's so sweet and I go back to the amazing rides over thanksgiving when we were having so many problems and all it took was being at the right barn with the right trainer.
| Ugh he is so good at this move, I'm going to have to start over with teaching him to reach downward with his neck again |
Oh TC.... I am still giggling at him spooking (sorry).
ReplyDeleteI think the right barn with the right trainer will make a huge difference for you.
Yah I talked to the trainer yesterday and he seemed pretty confident that he could get him on the right track. I have to remember that I was once incredibly confident on this horse, it's just that he was moved into a stall right around when I got into a bad situation outside of horses so we just weren't meshing well together. Being with the right trainer and at the right barn is going to help SO much.
DeleteYou don't bring out the worst in him! I bet he's excited to see you. I also bet that since he does so many laps in the water he's probably getting pretty fit (even if it's not dressage muscles). Again, right barn, right trainer makes a big difference. You'll feel so much better after he's where you want him and after a few lessons!
ReplyDeleteHe is SO fit, it's crazy! I kind of want him less fit. But at least since he's so fit, he can spook at things and not cause me too much worry. I think I've got a good situation coming up for him, I feel like if BRH trainer can't fix him, he's unfixable!
DeleteYou can do it. He's got that bravado that makes him both a lot to handle AND an excellent show horse.
ReplyDeleteThanks Lauren! I really hope that he learns to channel that energy into something really spectacular. He has a ton of presence and a moderate amount of talent so if he just grew a brain, we'd do quite well!
DeleteDont get discouraged, my own mare had similar blow ups in rehab and starting work making me feel exactly what you are feeling now. I was worried we couldnt work together...but I agree with previous comments, the right trainer will help you guys and YOU WILL figure it out.
ReplyDeleteHis antics do not reflect you! Hes a baby and has the gumption to be a show horse! Hes got all this energy he cant use yet dying to show how awesome he is.
It's good to hear about others' experiences in my place! It's so easy to jump to those conclusions when you're stressed and worried. I'm so glad I made the decision to put him where I'm going to put him. I think once as I get more fit and he gets more brains, we'll figure it all out again.
DeleteLook at the little hippo goooooo!!! I'm sure when he gets back into a regular program with the right trainer, in the right barn, he'll settle down. :)
ReplyDeleteThat's what I'm hoping! BRH trainer said that sometimes having time off calms them down a lot. And he actually is a lot quieter about going to the vet now and being on the trailer, so hopefully the time doing other stuff made him a little more mature and once as he's in a program he'll be so glad to not be in a box stall all day that he'll settle right down and be a good boy.
DeleteI'm hitting this point with C where he actually is turning into the horse I want, and it's very, very cool. I love that I've been able to blog this journey, because there are a lot of parts that haven't been super fun, but the end goal is totally worth it.
ReplyDeleteThe right barn, the right trainer, and lots of time. You can do this.
We've definitely got all three of those, especially time! Hopefully BRH trainer can turn him around and we'll be back on track. He was such an amazing horse last year until I messed everything up by moving him around.
DeleteMan I feel like we are sooo much alike the more we talk to each other, I too take things WAYYYYY too personally. You guys can do it and in time we will all calm the fuck down! He is the cutest hippo I've ever seen
ReplyDeleteI think one day we're going to wake up and realize that we're actually the same person. I need to just CHILL about this whole thing. It's so easy to take it all personally and get myself all wrapped up in it. Not helpful, need to relax.
DeleteThe swimming videos are really cool. I'm sure he'll be better with BRH trainer and better once he can actually get some of his energy out more frequently.
ReplyDeleteYah I think once as he can actually be worked hard every day, he'll feel much less obnoxious! He was so good when he was down there for thanksgiving but that's because we did a LOT of cantering. The first month or two without cantering might be rough! But that's what trainers are for :)
DeleteHe was so excited to see you: you could read his little mind as he got in the pool "WATCH ME GO, MOM!!" :)
ReplyDeleteI know he kept staring at me while he was swimming and walking! So cute, but I was sort of afraid he'd drown lol
DeleteOh my goodness, YES, you need to invent a cheesecake vending machine. Yes, yes please.
ReplyDeleteOn second thought, no, don't, because I'd follow IT around.
Now I need some cheesecake...
I know cheesecake vending machines need to be a thing like yesterday!
DeleteI love watching him swim- he looks like he's really enjoying himself!
ReplyDeleteIt was so cool! I'm so glad I got to see it, all I had before was a 15 second video of him in the pool. It was fun to be able to see the whole process, even if there was some spooking involved.
DeleteI love how much of his personality comes out in those videos. He looks like such a sassy, fun creature I can see why you love him so much!
ReplyDeleteHe's gotten SUPER sassy at this place. I think it's just him being five years old and being a bit cooped up. I can't believe how much he was sassing the eurowalker, I had to walk away just in case it was me bringing that out in him. I think he's going to be a really cool horse one day if I don't murder him first.
DeleteSomehow I suspect you and TC are gonna be just fine - esp once you guys are back in action with the right trainer etc. also for what it's worth that slow little doggy paddle in the pool cracked me up!! What a goofy sweet little horse!!
ReplyDeleteMy pony had a good scary spook and tried to take down the walls of the first stall she was in. Now she's extremely calm and almost falls asleep in the barn when I'm grooming her even when she's the only horse in there and they are dragging the arena. He's just young, not crazy and he'll settle down :)
ReplyDeleteThe baby hippo is looking great! <3
ReplyDeleteHis swimming video is so precious I can't handle it
ReplyDelete