I finally have some pictures from Starr Vaughn!
![]() |
| Cantering around toward the right pirouette. Score = 4.5 Comment = Tried to rear |
I wish he'd stop kicking my feet out of my stirrups
|
I'm feeling much much better about the whole ordeal. I'm almost recovered from the sickness and haven't had to take NyQuil to sleep in a few days. Although our score wasn't the big BANG that I wanted to end my season with, I'm thoroughly excited for next season. And Rico is staying strong and sound (despite a minor colic scare when he GOT LOOSE ON MY PROPERTY LAST WEEK).
![]() |
| Centerline |
![]() |
| Look at this medium trot!! |
![]() |
| And this shoulder-in earning a 7.5 :) |
I had a lesson with Tracey on Saturday at the same facility where Rico fell down in April. No falls this time!!
The lesson was great (as always). We started with the tempi changes which are obviously a problem. At all three PSGs this fall, Rico has kicked at my right leg in the LR change and we were dinged accordingly in our score. Rico has fantastic changes, but for some reason from the left to the right, he swings his leg way up under me and kicks my foot. Tracey and I have been working diligently over the last six months to figure out what is causing it. I've changed my spurs, worked to stop swinging my shoulders/legs so much, and have done LOTS of single changes and nothing seems to be working.
At our lesson though, Tracey had us do tempis down the long side with the rail helping to keep us straight and we finally realized... IT'S A STRAIGHTNESS PROBLEM!! A very small issue. Rico does not stay "up" to the left rein, so he falls slightly into his right shoulder and in order to get his change, he has to kick to maintain momentum (that's my guess, Tracey said it's either that or he's upset/frustrated but Rico doesn't get that upset usually). Once as we figured this out, the change got SO FREAKING GOOD.
The lesson was great (as always). We started with the tempi changes which are obviously a problem. At all three PSGs this fall, Rico has kicked at my right leg in the LR change and we were dinged accordingly in our score. Rico has fantastic changes, but for some reason from the left to the right, he swings his leg way up under me and kicks my foot. Tracey and I have been working diligently over the last six months to figure out what is causing it. I've changed my spurs, worked to stop swinging my shoulders/legs so much, and have done LOTS of single changes and nothing seems to be working.
The RL is much much better than the LR!
|
At our lesson though, Tracey had us do tempis down the long side with the rail helping to keep us straight and we finally realized... IT'S A STRAIGHTNESS PROBLEM!! A very small issue. Rico does not stay "up" to the left rein, so he falls slightly into his right shoulder and in order to get his change, he has to kick to maintain momentum (that's my guess, Tracey said it's either that or he's upset/frustrated but Rico doesn't get that upset usually). Once as we figured this out, the change got SO FREAKING GOOD.
![]() |
| Around the outside |
After working on the tempis, we touched on Rico's half steps/piaffe which I put on him a couple years ago and then ignored. Tracey was pleasantly surprised by our attempt! She said that he was very even behind and had a good rhythm to it. She gave me some good advice on working toward a real piaffe- he needs to learn the aid and be prompt about it (he hadn't done it in so long that he was a bit confused!), he needs to do less steps so that he doesn't get too tired/sour, and he needs to be more on the spot eventually. She said that I DEFINITELY need to get in with Alfredo and said she'd see if I could get into the clinic next week!! Fingers crossed.
![]() |
| Extended canter |
![]() |
| Beginning of the extended trot |
After that, we worked on the half passes. God I'm terrible at these. Rico is a star, we always get a 7 despite my poor riding. I just can't get behind the idea that half pass involves any inside leg. I want to slide to the outside and poke him with my outside spur and pull on his face and have him do it. Apparently that's very wrong. As are most of my inclinations in dressage.
She had me do a really great exercise. I'd half pass from the corner to centerline, then 10m circle the opposite direction, then go back to half pass the original direction into the far corner. It was GREAT because it made me use my legs properly and kept Rico very supple. She said it was another one of Conrad Schumacher's exercises and that he'd have his riders do it forever. Looks like I have some homework...
![]() |
| Cantering around the outside of the ring |
![]() |
| Extended walk on such a buff pony |
Overall it was a great lesson and I walked away feeling really excited for the coming season. I'm not sure what *exactly* my goals are going to be, but I'm going to start exploring several options:
1. PSG at CDS championships (won't go unless he's scoring really well since it's really freakishly expensive)
2. Compete at I1
3. Do a CDI at PSG (I don't even know what this entails but I bet it's expensive and stressful)
4. Come up with a 4th level or I1 freestyle and go for my USDF Silver or half my Gold Freestyle bar
5. Get into as many Alfredo clinics as possible to get this horse going on his piaffe/passage!!
We'll see what happens!
Final halt
|
![]() |
| Trying to calm ourselves before entering |
![]() |
| Centerline |
![]() |
| First halt, looking perky |
![]() |
| Such a sassy animal |
















He's such a hunk. I love that extended canter picture.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I love that picture too, the judge wasn't a fan of his tomfoolery in the extended canter but it was the most power I've ever got out of him in that movement :)
Delete